Octopi?

BX Tech talk
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Way2go wrote:
tim leech wrote:I would rather pay someone who knows what there doing to be honest, I live in a first floor apartment and have very little in teh line of tools and no ramps etc. If i get it wrong which is not uncommon I would have to get some one to fix it for me anyway!
Tim, you surprise me. :shock: For someone who loves cars which, let's face it, are challenging due to their age getting oily comes with the territory. Especially when, as a company car driver there is no everyday need to deal with (what was that term of yours?) "old snotters".
Tools, jacks and stands can be sourced and stored. I seem to find with each job on the BX there is always an additional tool or two needed to buy. :wink:
When you tackle the job and succeed, your confidence and ability will increase, if you have concerns on issues then the forum is still there as your 'safety net'.
Lack of space may be an issue but if so how do you work so extensively on the exteriors/interiors and have a 'naughty garage' to allocate cars to? :?
Go-on have a go - you know it makes sense - maybe not welding - but most mechancals & electricals. :wink: :D
W2G,I think there's a comfort zone thing here to be addressed.First you've got people who don't know one end of a spanner from another.Next,you've got people who will do basic repairs/servicing(like myself)Finally you've got people who are quite knowledgable/expert(Ken,Doc,Vanny ,Tom)who will tackle most things.There's also the question of equipment/tools.A couple of years ago,I,unsuccessfuly tried to change the arm bearings on my Hurricane.Off it went to a "speciallist"A couple of weeks ago,I changed the arm bearings on my "Burgundy Beauty"with the help/advice/tools of Ken.I've kind of lost the plot here,but if there's a job that needs doing,give it a go.I think in a long winded kind if way,I'm agreeing with you W2G.Time for bed I think :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Its them porkpies i tell ya :D, oh, & the stella....
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

MULLEY wrote:Its them porkpies i tell ya :D, oh, & the stella....
Don't forget the bloody brandy :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

It's a great feeling, isn't it, when you successfully complete a job you've never attempted before, even if it's something straightforward.

I've certainly done stuff on the GT that I've never attempted before, thanks to the encouragement of peeps on this forum and of course the help given by Kitch. Thanks Guys! :D

Well done Mulley and give it a go Tim! 8)
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

There are no really complicated jobs on a BX, any job just requires a bit of forethought and a methodical approach.
Infact it's the same with any job really. If you want to learn, then there is only one way to do it. Get your hands dirty, but it is much easier if theres someone stood over you who's been there before.
I've got a mate who owns enough buses to start a bloody bus company. They're all knackered, and being rebuilt slowly. He wants to learn, so I get dirty and do the work, and he lends a hand and watches. It's taking a long time, but he's getting it.
But then, not everyone wants to get dirty and crawl around under cars, and I quite understand why.
I learned from my dad, in turn I now seem to teaching others in the bus group, but I like getting oily and the satisfaction you get from making something work that didn't when it arrived.
I gain no satisfaction from polishing my cars, which is why they are always filthy.
But if Tim's happy to polish then thats fine. We all have things we are good at and enjoy.
It's no different with bus group. We have guys that paint, guys that trim, and guys that do oily stuff. We each enjoy what we do and work as a team.
Maybe by next year I'll have some more room in the shed, and the shed should be more up together, then Tim can polish my wrecks and I can do oily stuff....
After all, if we all had a few weekends a year getting together and doing the jobs we excel at, we could all have mechanically good and highly polished cars, and everyone leaves with a sense of satisfaction and some beer!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:a sense of satisfaction and some beer!
Ah yes, it's beer that oils the wheels. :wink: :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

F(#¤k me. . . when I asked what a LHM leak could be under the divers side. . . . I got a one word reply. . . 'octopus' . . . i though the lad was trying to be funny. . . didnt realize there IS an octopus in the car!!!

. . . as it turns out it WAS the octopus . . . luckily a split in the connection to the priority vale. . . nothin' serious. . . wouldn't like to swap one of those though, its in a hell of a tight space!
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

wouldn't like to swap one of those though, its in a hell of a tight space!
That's why I'm planning on doing it while I've got the engine out! :wink:
I'm getting too old and achy these days for concentrated fiddling about in tight oily places, purely by touch!! :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'm pretty crap with mechanics and usually everything I do turns to death for whatever I'm attempting.
However confidence can be gained by doing basic jobs: to the huge majority of you lads you probably think it's funny but I still remember changing my first alternator and starter motor not that many years ago and feeling like part of a rally service crew!
More recently I did a basic engine service on my Cavalier and thoroughly enjoyed it and these kinds of things do inspire confidence.
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

hey Billy!
Don't forget that you now know how to separate a BX TD engine and gearbox.......without using an angle grinder or big hammer!!! :lol:
(Well..my medium hammer did come in handy on a couple of stubborn bolts!) :wink:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Angle grinders are very last year now Dave...
Gas Axe For The Win! :wink:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...