Ew. Yuk.

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Ew. Yuk.

Post by stuart_hedges »

One of the reasons my fuel consumpion has been so bad - and the car running so badly - is that the fuel line that goes into the filter had gone porous. I replaced it today, and decided to treat the car to new fuel and air filters as I was in there.

When I took the old air filter out, I was met with this:

Personally, I've never seen an air filter that bad.

Has it just never been replaced before? Or do I have something badly wrong?

With the filter off and the engine running there is a little smoke blowing out of the air filter housing, but not a lot - just visible fumes.
Last edited by stuart_hedges on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Some fuming is normal as this is attached to the crankcase breather system but if it is as excessive as the evidence maybe pressurising of the crankcase due to a HG on the way out? :?

Now you've got the new filter, try it after cleaning all the old crud away and inspect it again in a week or so. Best also to clean the mesh of the oil filler top just in case that is restricting normal crankcase breathing.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

"they all do that sir"

No, really. That's crankcase venting due to a bit of blow-by on the rings. Without a decent oil trap, all the oil ends up in the air filter, which as it's a foam element isn't such a bad thing.

All I used to do with oiled up foam filer elements was wring them out (and there will be a fair bit of oil in it) and then re-fit. Do this every couple of months to see just how much the engine is venting. If it's a lot, then you could put an oil trap in the line from the engine to the air filter housing. (like later models with a paper filter have)
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My Mk1 16TRS Auto was exactly the same as that stuart.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Had this happen on a past BX.

I cleaned ALL the breather pipes out and gave it a good servicing funny enough that was a MK1 had it for about 2 years of whih my Paents had it for 18 months whilst I was overseas.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

My MKI 16's all did this to a greater or lesser extent... clean all the breathers out , wash that filter with plenty of washing up liquid, let it dry, give it a squirt of clean engine oil (not too much) oil and it'll go again! If the foam breaks up chuck it and buy a new one .... you don't get that option with a paper panel filter!!!
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll stop worrying.

I'd already bought the new filter so that went in, along with a new fuel filter and new fuel piping, and the car is running MUCH better. I'll report back on the consumption after a couple of tanksful.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Did you oil the new element?
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Over the past few years that car will have done a lot of short journeys. I would dismantle the breather system and clean it all out with hot water and suds/engine cleaner. Messy but beneficial. Ditto the air cleaner box. Take it off the car to do it properly. Also clean out the oil filler cap because the gauze will probably be caked up. I did all this on mine because it was all gunked up with good ole mayo gloop. Take it on long runs. It will like it!

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It's going to France tomorrow. Does that count?

:lol:
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just a little update - I've had no hesitation, stalling or misfiring since doing this work. It even runs OK when cold!