TZD Turbo tuning

BX Tech talk
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

TZD Turbo tuning

Post by ohms »

My TZD goes very well, but could do with a tweak to give it more beans. Some would argue that twin turbocharging my V6 Alpine GTA would give enough of a thrill to leave the workhorse well alone...But once a boost junky, always a boost junky and so the power struggle begins.

I'm well versed in tweaking the Lucas pump, having successfully in the past wound a previous TZD up to 20PSI with fuelling to match. The car went like the proverbial off a shovel, but inevitably blew the headgasket 5000 miles into the upgrade...Took things a little bit too far :oops:

So my plan is to give this new BX a mild tweak and hopefully improve driveability without affecting MPG and reliability too much.

I've had a little poke around this evening and it would appear that my latest acquisition is fitted with the KKK turbo. I've had a go at winding the actuator in, but it is one of the tightest spaces imaginable and i can't reach to get the 2.5mm allen key in to make the adjustment.

I wondered if anybody else had successfully tweaked the KKK turbo....It's most definitely a nightmare compared to the easy to adjust garret equivalent. :(

I wondered if dropping the engine slightly might give a little more access. Thoughts and opinions appreciated chaps.:)
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

You blew the last one up. Doc has a very quick one. It blows up very often. You can't make a carthorse into a racehorse so buy an engine crane or leave it alone.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If you remove the top and bottom engine mounts (obviousley with the engine supported on a beam or crane or the such) you can move it enough to get to the adjuster, but the garrett is a much better turbo all round.

Tom, you're not wrong! 2 heads, 5 turbo's, 2 intercoolers, 3 sets of injectors... all in 9000 miles! :shock:
But it was running 150BHP at one point, that really is too much!

At the moment it's running 0bhp since it's laid up till I get a new windshield in it...

I've found reliability is ok (looks for something wood to touch!) at 120bhp which, so far, it's running without issue....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ohms »

At 20psi, it was devastatingly quick and a hell of a lot of fun... on the motorway, 80-110 in fifth was dealt with in seconds...Fantastic fun and not a lot could live with it!

Do you know if the garrett can be retrofitted in place of the KKK. Any problems with oil feed and returns and mani flanges and down pipes etc.? :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

By far the easiest way is to get a Garrett on a manifold (actually the manifolds are the same) and change the whole lot. The oil pipes are different so you'll need them too!
The Garrett is a much better designed and built turbo, the KKK is ok for what it is, but the T2 is a carcker of a blower, the water cooled T3 even more so!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...