TZD starting woes, plus extras

BX Tech talk
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ohms »

Have replaced the throttle spindle with one from the scrappies and normal drive is resumed. :D

unfortunately my cold starting traumas are still very much a problem. Needs cranking for a good 30 seconds before she fires.
Starts perfectly once she's warmed up, but as soon as everythings cold, she just doesn't want to start.

Any ideas? :D
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Glowplugs??? Maybe an air leak getting into the fuel lines?
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ohms »

prior to all of this difficulty in starting the engine wouldn't fire first strike of the key unless the glow plugs light had gone out, so I think they're working properly.

I think you may well be onto something with this air leak, it's as though it's losing fuel pressure over night.

Tomorrow morning I will try priming thwe system like a good un with the priming bulb and see if this sorts the problem. If not, then we'll assume glow plugs. :D
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Glowplugs generally either work or don't. Thus they can simply be checked with a bulb and battery.

The XUD will start on 3 cylinders very happily (ie with 1 plug down) with a puff of smoke, and will start fairly well on 2. Thus glowplug failure is often noticed as a sequence of worsening starting performance - until the last one fails - when it won't go at all.

As they were probably made on the same day in the same factory they will have a similar lifespan - and as they have been operated the same number of times will fail in sequence rapidly.

As you have a Roto-Diesel pump the leakoff pipes don't affect the starting at all - they just leak and smell.

If when you're waiting for the hydraulics to pump up you notice a small increase in the engine speed - this is caused by air in the fuel upsetting the pump governor. This is the only possible cause - thus a sure indication of air getting in the system. The engine may well start properly after a day or so (like mine does at the moment). This WILL NOT happen on the Bosch - as it has a mechanically as opposed to hydraulically (using diesel) operated governor.