Front Speakers

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Front Speakers

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi!
I decided to the front speakers (in doors) on my BX for a pair of nice Megavox Chrome 4" ones. Trouble is the original Cit fittings are 5", and I can't mount the new ones in the holes!
Tried looking round online ICE suppliers, for some kind of adaptors to 'downsize' the speaker apertures, but can't seem to find anything listed to fit a BX.

Does anyone know of an available adaptor kit (possibly from a different make/model of car) that would do the job?

My main reason for changing is that I now have some nice 6x9s on the back shelf, and my o/s front original has blown, and only gives out cr@ppy noises!
Alternatively, does anyone have a spare, GOOD, Cit original??
:wink:
Cheers

Dave H.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you're handy with a jigsaw you could cut a ring from thinish ply or MDF or similar.
RichardE

Post by RichardE »

Dave,Do the originals have 'autosonik' on the back? If so I've got a pair here you can have .I replaced these with some Sony Xplods a few weeks ago as I thought they would produce more base but did they chuff....hardly any difference ,anyways they're in good nick ,no distortion from what i remember so you're welcome to them gratis pm me your address and I'll put them in the post next week.
Richard
1991 BXGTI Auto A/C Silver
1990 TZS Break Auto
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Thanks for that Richard. Are you planning on going to the Stratford Meet (end of August)? If so I could get em off you there....save on postage 'n stuff!
RichardE

Post by RichardE »

Don't think I'm gonna be going ,am flat out in August ,but it's no trouble to pop them in the post for ya.Have to go to the post office back end of next week anyways.,I've got plenty of packaging lying round here at the mo ,and I'm just glad that they're gonna be getting some use rather than just sat in a cupboard,so you are more than welcome to them.
1990 TZS Break Auto
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Cheers Richard! :D
PM on its way, with my address!

Dave
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Dave

Have a look at this site for adaptor plates.
http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/

Richard

Have you tried reversing the phasing/polarity on your new speakers, to see if there is any alteration in bass output?
A flower pot or large ice cream tub, modified to fit the rear of the speaker/fixing area, filled with fibre insulation, secured away from the cone, may help??
Also if you’re able to seal off any openings around the front part of the speaker surround, so output is projected forward rather than into the door space.
………………………………………………………………

Sorry to hijack your post.

Any members into very loud ICE!!
Have a 400w-4channel power amp with two 9inch, 3-way Soundlab rear parcel shelf speakers. Removed from a scrap 16v purchased for spares.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the trick with the phasing is to change the polarity of one only - idea is to make the cones go the opposite way rather than the same.
RichardE

Post by RichardE »

Thanks for the speaker improvement suggestions fella ,will have a go as soon as I have time ,although I have already decided that an active tube will be going in the back as soon as funds allow and that should definately solve the problem :)
And Dave pm sent speakers on their way.
1990 TZS Break Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'd just pick up some new 13cm jobbies and sell the Megavox ones on. But remember, if you've got the component setup like the higher end models, you'll lose your tweeters in the dash unless you by components and rig up a crossover.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Funnily enough, having tried out various combinations since I got the 6x9s fitted to the rear shelf, I get the nicest, richest, sounds by using the original factory Audiosoniks in the front doors, with a slight fade towards the rear!!
I don't tend to play a lot of really heavy bass stuff, but I do like to hear voices crisply with a nice all round tone.

Cheers Richard matey! I'll watch for the postie....if he turns up for work! :wink:

Dave
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Postie delivered the speakers first thing this morning!
Many thanks Richard!! :D

Second class post arrives faster than First Class....hmmmmmmm! :?

Cheers! :lol:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

There is no forst and second class delivery as such anymore mate. It's all crap and over priced for the standard of service you get.

Somebody at local sorting office has best part of a complete BX they've stolen from my parcels...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
RichardE

Post by RichardE »

Damn that was quick :shock: That's it then everythings gonna go 2nd class from now on then !! Hope they sound alright for ya Dave ??
1990 TZS Break Auto
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I've only stuck one in for the moment Richard! (To replace the VERY duff drivers side one). Working fine with its passenger side colleague, and I'm sure would be giving me nice sounds.....if I had a battery on the car and it was driveable! (Still mid-gearbox / clutch swap!)

Cheers matey! If I can ever do you a favour in return, just holler! :wink: