Dull Cracking sound followed by

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

The metals are indeed different between N/A and Turbo heads. Yes a non turbo will fit, but it wont last long.

It looks like oil starvation, but the lobes look ok, so either the oilway is blocked to that bearing, or it's picked some swarf, or as Jeremy said, it's had the cap changed at some point in it's past and it wasn't line bored??

Either way, it's FUBAR.

I'm about to buy a TD engine from Jon Woods, I'd rather keep it as a complete engine, BUT, since the engine in my TD has a new head (much expensiveness!) then if you cant source one you can have the head from that engine.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Many thanks Doc, so does anyone else a bit more local to me have one knocking about please, money will be available. I guess normal people would just scrap the thing as it would cost more to get professionaly sorted than the car is worth. This is a real shame as she is an excellent motor & in very good nick inside & out.

To be honest the car was driving fine with the associated damage, so if worst comes to the worse i can refit everything & cross my fingers. But as i want to keep this car long term i would rather have a head so that i know she wont do any further damage....

Thanks for all your help/advice guys, gutted that i'm now without a car & i've got 2 sat on the drive wanting repairs.....
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

AndersDK wrote:I believe a standard BX TUD head woud readily fit, but the cam must come off a 17 variant.
Note that the old Visa model continued for years as the C15 van, fitted with the XUD7 diesel variant. This could be a donor for the head.

TBH I dont think you should run into trouble sourcing a head for your BX.
I know that the later Xantia 19TD's may be easier to find, but dont think they are a direct swap. Some of our onboard diesel heads will know for sure.

And then we have not yet talked about the Peugeot variants with same engine type ...

Hope thats a pat on your shoulder to get on with a smile on your face :wink:
There is no BX TUD. I obviously meant BX XUD.
jeremy wrote:Anders - presumably the reference to a TUD means that you have been looking at something more interesting?

The XUD diesel head has 120 degree inlet valve seats - the turbo has 90's. There are some dimensions in Haynes Diesel manual - which can be downloaded here:

http://sitruuna.unk.fi/pub/korjausoppaat/

I think there may be metal alloy differences between a N/A head and a turbo one. I have heard it said that later Xantia ones are stronger.

Mulley I can't imagine why your engine has tried to eat its camshaft. A good and ingenious engineer might be able to save the head but the work would be enormous - and expensive.
The TD reference is a typo. There is no reference to a TD in this thread at all - except for my misprint "Xantia TD", where I meant a Xantia D.

Hope you dont mind i do mistakes from time to time J ?
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

We could make a TUD BX, although I'm not sure why!?!!

Dont stress it dude, we all make typo's / errors etc. I've got a PHD in it!! :wink:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...