Hardy disc

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Hardy disc

Post by cauchoiskev »

On the Citroën online parts list, there is a hardy disc for non-PAS cars, but none for PAS ones.

Does anybody know if they are identical ?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

My PDF parts book for the BX 19 which seems to have power shows 'Steering Coupling - 95 960 094.'
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Hmm, that's different from the number shown for a non-PAS disc online (95631286).

And it can't be found with a search...

Thanks anyway Jeremy.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

They are not exactly identical. From memory I believe its the fitting details that differ.
The dish itself is identical on both types, and you should get new bolts with the new hardy Disc assembly, meaning any type is possible to fit on a NON pas rack.

In case you dont get new bolts & nuts, be absolutely sure you get nylock (self locking) nuts with your new bolts sourced from elsewhere.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

When I went through this they were different and whats more if you buy from GSF you only get the rubber bit and end up scratching your head over the rivetted assembly you take off. :? I then bought the correct assembly which apparently is only available from Citroen and returned the previously purchased chunk of rubber to GSF! :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Way2go wrote:When I went through this they were different and whats more if you buy from GSF you only get the rubber bit and end up scratching your head over the rivetted assembly you take off. :? I then bought the correct assembly which apparently is only available from Citroen and returned the previously purchased chunk of rubber to GSF! :evil:
That type from GSF is still the correct type. It just dont fit a PAS rack. Got the same part here, and its exactly to your description, as its purchased from a local GSF outfit here.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I repalced this blimmin thing on the GT from 11 PM after going to the pub till 4 in the morning, as I discovered on my pre- Scotland BX checkup that the disk was literally dangerous. It was the worse night of my life. I had a magnetic under body lamp rigged up to the battery, and I had the disk without the bolts. NEVER get one without the bolts if you can help it. The propper one has bolts set into the disk and is much easier to install. I got Nylock nuts on the bolts and trying to hold the bottom one while doing the top etc, was a nightmare.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have done this job its a nightmare infact i still have a hardy joint here if anyone wants it just PM your address it is the Pas one i think
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Much easier with a gas axe and REALLY BIG HAMMER!

I'm getting quite good at them now, having nimble fingers helps I think!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Oohh errr -
Forgot you guys have lots more fun with the pinion located in the RHS :lol:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Aye, you guys with left hookers have it easy!!! :wink:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

did one on my car a few weeks ago and to be honest i found it an absolute doddle, most of it can be done from the drivers footwell and you don't even need to disconnect the steering column coupling! that said i really wouldn't want to have to mess around with the chanign of the metal retainers, seems like a stupid way to do it! I got my disc for £8 delivered from my local citroen dealer, but i think they just wanted rid of it as i'm sure they should cost more!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:i really wouldn't want to have to mess around with the chanign of the metal retainers, seems like a stupid way to do it! I got my disc for £8 delivered from my local citroen dealer, but i think they just wanted rid of it as i'm sure they should cost more!
Yes, you did get a bargain price. Mine cost £17.14 + VAT in March 2004 from the Citroen main stealer.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i actually only bought it because i guessed i needed one, then when i was fiddling with oil feed to the turbo a while back i could see how badly torn the hardy disc was. I think mine had got into such a terrible state during the blown up ram saga, and i just suspect that it didn't have long left to live. If i get chance i'll have to get a picture of how bad it is (still got the dead one) but the deffinate give away was the huge amount of play in the steering when first moving the wheel!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mine had one crack it it but was still holding good although it is something that you don't want to take chances with.
I think that damage to mine was perhaps caused by sometimes straightening the wheels after the engine was off before leaving the car after parking. When the power steering is on of course this component is also more lightly stressed.
1991 BX19GTi Auto