Mastic

BX Tech talk
Baldbazza
BXpert

Mastic

Post by Baldbazza »

A simple question!

Just dropped the GT's headlining to fix a perennial leak from the sunroof. Having got rather wet coming home from the Huntingdon rally :oops: I'd like to stay rather drier in future...

I'm doing the obvious stuff like clearing tubes and checking for rust holes, and even cleaning up the sunroof mechanism 8) .

I want to replace the mastic that was already there and put plenty more of the stuff around - I was talking to a very nice guy - Jabba? - at Huntingdon about doing this. But B&Q and Wickes stock hundreds of varieties of tubes and for some reason none appear to be labelled "non-setting mastic for use in Citroen BXs to stop drivers getting wet".

So what exactly is the best stuff to get?
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I always use Windscreen adhesive, never had a problem..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

docchevron1472 wrote:I always use Windscreen adhesive, never had a problem..
Thanks Chris. Went into local Halfrauds to see if I could get some and something drew my eye to the caravanning department :shock: . Couldn't be the thought of caravanning so must have been the "3 for the price of 2" offer.

Then I saw a pile of tubes of Carafax non-setting mastic, which stated it was ideal for caravans ( :evil: ) and other 'road-transport uses' ( :D ). Seemed ideal for the sunroof tray and only £1.99 as well.

When I get the rusty bits sorted (see rusty sunroof thread) I'll post how good (or not) this stuff is.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

At that price, with 3 for 2, even if it's crap, you could fill the whole headlining with it and never worry again!

Might add 200Kgs to the weight of the car mind...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

something drew my eye to the caravanning department
After doing a pair of rear arms during the week for a friend who has two BXs which work for hard for a living, I helped to pre-strip a caravan he's about to break. You just wouldn't believe the amount of mastic applied to almost any surface and part you could think of.

Apparently this is not unusual. Most caravans he breaks were finished off by damp.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

DLM wrote:I helped to pre-strip a caravan he's about to break.
Good man!!! :twisted:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT