Up and running AGAIN. . .

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

Up and running AGAIN. . .

Post by joolie »

OK, after the last attempt, I decided to fix the HG proper this time, took it to be skimmed, got the valve oil seals done too. . . I never seen anything so flat when I went to pick it up again, like a mirror it was.

Felt SLIGHTLY grainy to the touch though, is that 'pricking up'? ANyways, I didnt dispute it then, I had other things to dispute at the time, like the price.

Went on niceley with an Elring 3 notch gasket, everything went together fine though I left out the exhaust manifold gasket, luckily I had a set for the air intake.

Reved up after a hell of alot of pumping on the filter. . . damn thing had ran out of fuel and sucked up a whole load of AIR. But EVENTUALLY it started up. I took it for a test run . . . now Im no racer more of a wining hippy, but Im sure some of you will appriciate this . . .The place I live was an old racing ring in the 60s and 70s. Type 'Fisksätra' in yer google Earth, and you will see.

This time ALL the compression is there, the engine sounds a little deeper (could that be the extra cc from the thicker gasket)?

. . . Now I got another funny little noise.

Coming from the left side of the engine, a high pitched wining noise, seems to 'power down' when I turn the engine off. Almost sounding like perssurised air. . . do you get what I mean.

Cos I got the compression, Im thinking that its actually the High Pressure pump?

Has anyone ever experienced a wining HP? (open for jokes about the wife)

There seems to be a little bit oil sprayed around when it drives, comes out from under the gearbox.

And I noticed that it sprays a bit of oil from the pipe that connects from the left hand side of the engine to the air filter. The last air filter had a lot of oil on it. but when the pipe was off during the test run there was oil everywhere. It sprayed the front light and started smoking . . . that put the s%/t up me I can tell ya!

Otherwise shes up and running and in for MOT at 9.01.
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Coming from the left side of the engine, a high pitched wining noise, seems to 'power down' when I turn the engine off. Almost sounding like perssurised air. . . do you get what I mean.
The turbo on my '93 17TD TXD whistles (whines?) beautifully! Some whistle, some don't! I was advised that it was nothing to worry about, so I don't worry! :lol:
The sound does come from the same side of the engine as yours. Another possibility could be the HP pump drivebelt. These need to be pretty tight!

Did you clean out all your breather pipes, while you had the head off? The oil may be still in these pipes from before.

Have a good look around to see if you can see the source of any oil leaks.....is it engine oil, or LHM?

Good luck with the MOT! :wink:
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

Thats good to know, both are feasable, the turbo was wining REAL loud before I connected it all up. so its likley to be heard still.

HP belt is what I was thinking, its not on THAT tight, 1cm movement with moderate thumb pressure.

The pipes were cleaned out when she was in pieces. apart from the one mentioned before, it was still connected to whatever its connected to.

running on RME/SVO

joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

. . . its oil.

running on RME/SVO

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hmmm.....I'm not sure on this, but I think that the pipe you mentioned is connected somehow to the turbo!?!? :?

I think I have reached my limits, so far as sensible, good advice goes with your particular problems!
No doubt one of our more 'clued-up' techno wizards will be a able to help you further!
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

. . . its the pipe NEXT to that where the oil is.

One goes from the turbo, in a kind of s shape then connects to the intercooler.

The other (where the oil comes from) comes up from the rear of the engine next to the octopus (possible also connected to the Turbo) over the top next to the fuel filter, then connects by a wide rubber pipe, to a long pipe going all the way croos the back of the radiator, to the air filter.

oh, the fun we have with Turbos!

running on RME/SVO

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Turbo's shagged then.
Or at least, maybe.. Turbo'd XUD's tend to be a little oily, if it's not horrific amounts I shouldn't worry too much.

If it's lots of oil, then be on the look out for another blower..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Nope - Turbo is fine !

Long wide plastic pipe going to the air filter - is not going to - but FROM the airfilter - TO the turbo.
This is the air intake which the turbo breathes throught to deliver compressed air to the intercooler.
The oil found here is coming from the airfilter box, where the sump breather & fumes hoses are connected to. The latter ones are responsible for the oil in the long wide air (intake) duct.

It mat simply be a problem that you are running your TD on a modern low-viscosity index full synthetic oil.
The BX engine ranges are not designed to run on such oils.

You MUST use a viscosity of at least 10W40 - or 15W40 - on your BX to avoid any problems with oil getting in where it should not be.

Note that the viscosity index has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the quality or durability of the oil.
Its the API index alone that decides the quality of the oil.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak