Compression loss TZD

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

Compression loss TZD

Post by joolie »

My TZD is up and running, flew its MOT and is chugging along niceley.

But thats about it. When I hit 3000rpm (approx. - the tachos up the duff, can anyone reffer me to a tread to fix it?) the power stops right there.

Slowly I can get up to 110km/h, then I can hear anair like hiss.

Ive been to a citroen garage, they said that the gasket job was fine, as the engine revs good and loud while stationary.

So what are the factors that could affect compression?

I wonder about the turbo. . . With the air ducts removed, I can hear the turbo whistling, also there is oil in the airducts leading from the turbo.

I know for a fact that the air tube connecting the intercooler to the turbo is not connected tightly with a ring, could it be a turbo pressure leaking out as I hit high revs?

Or is the turbo buggered?

Could it be another thing affecting compression.

The guy in the garage says it could be timing? does that make sense, I thought that it would be a bit more obvious than a loss of power, like unburned fuel, smoke from exhaust, a clunky feel or perhaps another snapped cam. It been driven more than 50km in this condition.

Would it be the fuel injection system? Im running a CAV Lucas with 30% veg oil. I know its destined to die, anyone got a Bosch with injectors to sell?

J
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It sounds like you have an air leak to your Turbo. Check all you air ducts, hoses and connections are tight.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There are 2 elements to turbo boost - one is the additional air provided by the turbo and the second is the extra fuel provided by the additional fuel device on the injection pump.

This device responds to the increase in air pressure in the intercooler and delivers the required extra fuel. It is connected to the intercooler by a thinnish pipe (10mm??) which with a Roto-Diesel pump comes out of the middle of the front face of the intercooler and goes on to a cylinder on the side of the pump just behind the radiator. The Bosch has a thicker pipe and I think the device is on top of the pump (looks like a flying saucer)

Check the length of the pipe - my TD has an overboost warning light actuator under the battery and the hose is branched. I have had that part fail.

If the pipe is disconnected the extra air is present but no additional fuel and so you have a slightly lower powered 1.7 pulling very tall gearing - ie a slow car!

Another thing to look at is the accelerator pedal which is known to drop off. Check the throttle opens fully - open the bonnet and push the pedal to the floor and make sure that when its on the floor the throttle arm is FULLY open. If its not it may be adjustment of the clip or the pedal may be falling off. When I bought my TD Estate I couldn't get it over 30 MPH on a test run and found that the pedal had fallen off! I bolted an angled steel reinforcement into its mount and nearly 8 years later its still working.
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

Im surprised that so much power can be lost from air in the turbo system.

I know that the ducts are not connected properly, so its likley to be that.

The overboost pipe mentioned above IS connected, but I can double check.
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.