Dim clock?

BX Tech talk
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Dim clock?

Post by sausage »

Help!

Brenda's clock has suddenly decided to play silly b*ggers and go all dim. It's still working as you can (barely) see the digits in daylight but not at all when it's dark. Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be??

Cheers, Simon
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The lamp behind the clock has blown. Remove the clock, and the lamp changes as easily as one of the dashboard illuminator lamps. (In fact isn't it the same lamp unit?)
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes its the same - if you're a cheapskate like me you'll buy the bulb and replace it alone in the black plastic holder - but sometimes you can buy the black plastic holder with the bulb already fitted.
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Simon,

It maybe the LCD contacts from the printed circuit board- some just fail with time, but check the bulb first as David has indicated.

If the bulb is ok, remove the two recessed Phillips screws on the rear cover, lift off, feeding the bulb holder contacts through the casing.
The printed circuit board can then be lifted of the locating pegs.
Gently clean the upper and lower LCD strip contacts and refit, pressing the board fully home along these strips before reassembling.

You may like to carry out a mod on these clocks whilst dismantled to bypass the dim circuit, for improved daytime display brightness.
With the circuit board removed, spade electrical terminals facing towards you, and to the left. Bridge out the resistor on the upper left - adjacent to the black diode, with a piece of 15 amp fuse wire on the rear of the circuit board.

Pete M
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes - doing the resistor mod is very worthwhile. It enables you to see the clock if you are using the lights when it is not actually dark.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

Thanks Guys,

Will check out your suggestions tonight and let you know what I find.

Simon
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

Just to update, it was only the bulb that had gone so replaced it courtesy of work :wink: Did the resistor mod while I was at it then got all carried away and did the heater fan mod while the soldering iron was out.

Thanks for the pointers everyone :D