Rear Speaker Locations

BX Tech talk
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Rear Speaker Locations

Post by sausage »

Hi All,

Being the owner of a humble 2 speaker set up and wanting to fit rear speakers I want to know where the rears are fitted in the 6 speaker set up. Haynes says the rear quarters so are they just different cards to the ones I've got, could I fit these cards to Brenda? Could someone post a piccie so I can see what they're like?

I could just fit speakers to the parcel shelves but have the seats down and shelf out a lot so would rather not if possible.

Thanks, Simon
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

yes haunter is right - on series I at least.

On series one all models had a mediocre (3.5-4 inch ??) round grille fitted on the quarter panels.
The round cut out for the speaker magnet is still found in the panel sheets, if you remove the interior covering.

Standard fitting these days however are boomers in the shelf. That kind that makes the rear hatch hopping and rattling together with the drummer ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you do feel tempted to remove the C-pillar interior trim panels, do take extreme care: remove all screws and use a good trim tool as it's very easy to damage these panels.

Nearly all the original examples I've found of these C-pillar speakers seem to suffer from perishing of the rubber around the cones, to a greater extent than the front door speakers.

Apart from rattle, another drawback to cones in the rear parcel shelf is making sure the wiring is sturdy and versatile enough to withstand usual hatch raising, lowering and removal. Also you risk fouling the speakers or their connections on your boot contents unless you improvise an inner housing.

There is another way to get a six-speaker-equipped BX - buy an estate.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Those rear one's are a waste of effort, & i suspect you will find it difficult to buy speakers that size anymore, they're ancient & outdated. Far better to just get some high quality front speakers than messing about with extra speakers that sound crap.

Shame you cant fit 6x9's in the rear pacel shelf, they are the best way of getting multiple speaker quality sound.
BX Fan

Rear Speakers

Post by BX Fan »

Hi folks. I had a 16v BX with a decent sound system on board. Up front was an Alpine head,Mission speakers in the doors,standard speakers in the C pillars and 2 Cerwin Vega subs in the boot. Powering this lot I had 1,500 watt RMS amp for the front and 1,1000 watt RMS amp for the subs.The C pillars used the head unit. The whole lot used trick time shifting equalizers so that the subs sounded as if they where in front of you. The point is though,speakers on the rear shelf drag the sound back and it sounds unnatural.You don't go to a concert and sit with your back to the band do you? The rear should only add ambience. Just as an aside,my system,when set for sound,went 155 Db,but for music only went 145Db.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

You are not supposed to enjoy music while driving a car ...
You MUST concentrate on the driving and the traffic !=!!

Any PLOD will tell you that [-X
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

To be honest, the best setup you can have is a small punchy sub in the boot, just to cover the low stuff and some decent high quality components in the front, with the tweeters sort of wing mirror height. Either run them off a small amp and a seperate one for the sub, or wire a bigger 4 channel amp in and wire back to them.

When you go to concerts, the music comes from the front....thats the best setup. Sadly, putting a sub box in your footwells isn't always practical though, hence it's location in the boot :D

I've got a simple Alpine V12 in the boot running quite a large (given the volume and music I actually listen to - 12") Alpine sub. As yet, I haven't replaced the 16v's original components up front, because they're actually quite good from new....they're Kevlar. They can't take much low frequency, but the sub takes care of that. They do clip a bit when you get a rare chance to turn it up, so eventually I'll replace them and amp them up for better quality.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AndersDK wrote:
Any PLOD will tell you that [-X
Yeah, but the plod are all tossers.

I CANNOT drive without music. Infact I dont like doing anything without music.
Theres NOTHING better than driving at speed down a good country lane at 4 in he morning with the windows down and the system up banging out hardhouse Moby. It makes ya feel alive.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

All the plods I know drive with music on...

It helps keep me awake on a long drive. When I bought the TXD from Tim I drove it about 600 motorway miles before I had time to fit a stereo that worked. It was unbelievably dull - I was getting bored and not concentrating properly.
M

Post by M »

You could fit a Sony X-Plod head unit - this has some weird function that seems to expand the speakers so that they sound like they are more at ear level than knee level - weird, but it works.

Still using 2 speakers, but as all I listen to is Radio 4,still quite happy.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

All the ex-plods I know listen to music in the car too.

[rimshot]
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

AndersDK wrote:yes haunter is right - on series I at least.

On series one all models had a mediocre (3.5-4 inch ??) round grille fitted on the quarter panels.
Thats worrying I have a MKII 1991 model 19TZS and have them fitted. Drives the rear seat passengers nuts because its at head height and louder than the front :lol:

Guess I am one of the few that rarely drives with the radio on though? I like too listen to my engine....how sad is that? Besides trying to get a radio reception is a challenge in some areas
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

OK, so the answer is Yes, I can fit the cards from a 6 speaker hatch with care but the quality from the speakers may be poo so probably not worth the effort! Will cards from either MKI or MKII fit a '91 meteor??

Not very often people sit in the back (crikey, I nearly typed I don't often have people in the rear :shock: :shock: :shock: but realised before I posted, phew!) so wouldn't be bothered about deafening them.

May take a trip to the scrappy to see if he has any in good condition and what they go for. Need a couple of other little bits so will try and get them at the same time.

BTW, what size are the rear speakers??
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

No idea, however a couple of years ago i was going to replace those exact same speakers as they were rubbish, that size isnt made by anyone anymore, dont bother is my advice, pump your money into 2 very decent front ones, they will sound surprisingly good.

Good luck with whateva avenue you decide to take....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

stuart_hedges wrote:All the ex-plods I know listen to music in the car too.

[rimshot]
:? What does rimshot mean Stu :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto