How do I raise the suspension with a knackered engine?

BX Tech talk
Nick

How do I raise the suspension with a knackered engine?

Post by Nick »

I have been "offered" a BX 1.9 GTI with what I suspect has knackered engine. To facilitate moving the vehicle I will have to raise the suspension before either towing it home, or as the seller assures me "bump" starting it so I can just drive it away. The seller knows nothing about Citroens and I have noticed a suspect 2.5 ltr bottle of water is nesteling in the boot.... :roll:
I have tried the "remove spark plugs and crank the engine" to no avail. :cry:
The motor seems to strain and not spin freely. I suspect he has siezed it at some point and got a tow home! :wink:
Is there an emergency method I could use whereby I could run the HP pump via the existing belt and a battery drill to bring the pressure up?
Any advice would be appreciated, although the missus would be happy if my attempts were unsucessful. :D
Regards,
Nick.
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Hi Nick, I once had the same problem with my CX. I put a longer belt on the pump and used an electric drill with a pulley on a metal shaft, you will be suprised how hard this is to do, when the pump is on load it is very difficult to turn, but it can be done.

If you manage it I suggest setting the suspension to high or intermediate height, this should keep it up longer for towing.

Another way would be to put the car in gear with the plugs out and try towing it, if the engine will turn, it will build up the pressure.

When all else fails, I have towed and been towed wit hthe suspension flat, not good but when needs must :oops:

Have you got another engine to put in?

Regards Ken.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Ken,
Good idea, but the rear box is on the deck, so I will just have to try the pully and drill method. Well just for a bit and then try towing it some.
I will be looking for another engine but I realise the Pug 205 fans tend to snap them up pretty quick. I'm fairly confident this one is shot and I would like to replace the engine like for like. I dont feel confident of putting a diesel engine in it.
If you hear of one going could you give me a shout?
Regards,
Nick.
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Hi Nick, a guy I bought some seats from in Leighton Buzzard had an engine on ebay last week for £45. Finished with no bids as far as I know.
I'll PM you his name so you can contact him through ebay. Nice bloke to deal with and genuine BX enthusiast.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

If you jack the rear end up you can put bits of two by two between the rear arm and the body near where the bump stops are, there is no suspension but it will keep the back box off the ground.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, I quickly dismissed the drill and pully method as suggested, the inital pressure required couldn't be controlled (must have been quite funny to any one watching) and had to give in with jacking up the rear and putting blocks under the struts as my jack wouldn't go under the car! :lol:
So the the car was gingerly towed over the speed humps. :shock: Then in between the humps the car was sucessfully bump started and hydraulic pressure was aquired!
I soon found out why it had been standing for so long. It sounds like only a couple of lobes are left on the cam, talk about a knocking engine! Ear plugs would have been needed for anything over the 3 mile journey!
Going to learn how to do an enging transplant quick :roll:

Thanks for your help and advice,
Nick.