Turbo disconnection

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

Turbo disconnection

Post by joolie »

The turbo on my TZD is blowing, and whistling when I disconnet the air ducts. The car is pretty severley underpowered when I hit 2000-3000 revs, but gets a little bit more power when the ducts are connected, when driving it feels like one in a while it kicks in and I get more power.

Im assuming the turbo is shafted.

What can be done about that, is it possibe to repair a turbo, depending on whats up with it?

Is it possible to pull out the turbo with the engine in the car?

Is it possilbe to disconnect/bypass the turbo? what hp can I expect from that?

Will it strain other engine parts (eg clutch) if i drive it a long time with a underpowered engine?
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Joolie
It's unlikely your turbo is shot if you can feel it blowing when the engine is running. Make sure the inlet hose is connected properly and clamped tight, and then disconnect the outlet one beside the intercooler where it has the rubber boot/splice. Rev your engine and you should get a good blast of air out of it - if so that proves the turbo is working. The problem is more likely to be the over fueling setup in the fuel pump - make sure the small air line between the bottom/front of the intercooler is connected to the top of your fuel pump (on a Bosch) and has no holes/leaks in it. That line feeds the air pressure from the turbo to the pump to tell it to deliver more fuel when the boost increases - if it isn't connected or the overfueling device isn't working, then your engine isn't getting more fuel as the boost comes on - so doesn't make any power. I had my turbo outlet hose come off on me and believe me - you notice it! The car would hardly go and felt like I was dragging a 5 tonne load behind it.
Working properly, the boost/power should come in at around 2000/2100 rpm and pull hard from there.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter