Stalling on start up

BX Tech talk
classic2cv
BXpert

Stalling on start up

Post by classic2cv »

Since I last serviced my tzd I have found that on cold starting it starts first time as usual then stalls for no reason

When I try to restart it it tries to stall again unless I rev it a bit then it’s ok

but some times I’ve had to use the primer pump on the fuel filter to get it going again :evil:

It seems that I might have a leak somewhere

Has anyone else had the same problem??

1.7 Td Lucas cav roto-diesel
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like an air leak to me. Presumably you have the black filter bowl over the thermostat - so it won't be the fuel heater at the back of the engine. As you have the Roto-Diesel pump it will not be the leakoff pipes either.

So its checking everything - including the steel pipes running under the off side.

It is also possible that the thermostat in the fuel heater (which is in with the filter bowl) is leaking - its at the back left side. Something gooey placed over the fitting may help with the diagnosis.
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

hi there

i have the earlier filter the one on the left hand side of the engine bay

with the plunger on top

Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Had the same problem with mine. A replacement primer solved it.
Over and out from me
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

i think that i've found the air leak

I must have disturbed the fuel line when I moved it to do the cam belt

I hadn’t noticed how tatty the end of the line was and tenuously it was hanging onto the fitting to the filter

If there is enough of the fuel line I’ll cut it back to a clean end and refit it

That should cure the problem

Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>
pikey

Post by pikey »

dont know if it helps much but that doesnt look like a roto filter, dont they have a through bolt and the primer but angled forward?
i'm hoping that is the case because i've been putting veg oil in my tgd turbo in the belief that it is a bosch filter/ injector setup :?

cheers
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

pikey wrote:dont know if it helps much but that doesnt look like a roto filter, dont they have a through bolt and the primer but angled forward?
i'm hoping that is the case because i've been putting veg oil in my tgd turbo in the belief that it is a bosch filter/ injector setup :?

cheers

your right i do have a bosch filter on the car but the rest of the set up is roto-diesel :?

i think the somewhere along the way for some reason the filter was swaped for the bosch one

i trimed back the fuel line, refited it and primed it and it's fine now

instant starts and the power is back :D
Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Just worthy of a mention... Just because a car has Lucas/CAV/Roto or Bosch fuel filter doesn't mean it will have the same manufacturer's injection pump... and Vice-versa.

I've seen all 4 permutations in BXs (and other XUD engined cars) over the years. I think it was simply what was in the parts bins at the time.
this might be a signature