BOSCH JETRONIC INJECTION

BX Tech talk
tim leech

BOSCH JETRONIC INJECTION

Post by tim leech »

My newly aquird Gti 8v has the above system fitted, and its running very rich it seems, ive fitted a new air filter, changed the oil and filter and given it a good thrashing but im still worried about the MOT on monday.

Any ideas how to adjust it?

Thanks
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Mixture adjustment is done by turning the mixture screw out - anti clockwise. If this is wrongly set then 3 to 5 turns should make a noticable difference. The screw is in the top cover of the flowmeter at the RH end.

If the coolant temperature sensor is faulty then this would keep the mixture too rich for a hot engine. Testing this involves measuring its resistance when hot at the flow meter ECU plug.

Leaking injectors can give funny too rich symptoms too.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks matey, all the dials work (unlike the 16v) and the temperature seems to behave ok, plus I just flushed the cooling system and now she stays nice and cool.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Thanks matey, all the dials work (unlike the 16v) and the temperature seems to behave ok, plus I just flushed the cooling system and now she stays nice and cool.
:?:

What's this got to do with the price of tomatoes? :? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Meaning if the temp sensors up the duff surely the temp gauge would be affected?, even a man of my limited skills know that.

The car warms up nicely to 90 degrees and stays that way unless it sits in traffic then it fan cuts in.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Errrr - not quite Tim :roll:

We are talking a VERY different temp sensor here - STRICTLY for the ECU. This sensor tells the ECU which temperature the engine is working at. If this sensor is duff - the ECU gets a wrong message on the engine temp - and accordingly enrichens the mixture. Its the electronic way doing an automatic choke.

The temp gauge on your instrument panel is a completely different beast - with its own separate sender. Nothing to do with the engine control.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The temperature sensor for the ECU is a different one from that on the dashboard gauge.

The sensor for the ECU is near the thermostat and has a proper connector, not a push on crimp one that the dash gauge has.

At 20'C it should be: 2280 to 2720 Ohms

At 80'C is should be: 290 to 370 Ohms
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Fair enousky, will see what happens monday for the MOT. It may just need winding in on the air flow meter, if it still runs badly will try a new sensor.

Thanks
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Tim - if it fails on a too high CO reading this indicates a too rich mixture.

Assuming the ECU temp sender is ok the CO can be lowered by turning the screw ccw. 1.5 turns will lower the CO by approx 1%.

The tester may be happy to do this for you as it only takes a couple of minutes.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.