temperature warning lights

BX Tech talk
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bill o »

some weeks ago i changed my cambelt ,water pump and bottom hose on my tzd 1.7 turbo,since doing this i have had the yellow /red temp lights and the stop light playing up.some times they flicker , other times they are full on and for a few days they stayed off.a few days after this started i fitted a temp gauge and temperature and water levels are ok,the new sensor replaced one of the overheat sensors and the existing wire is taped up and insulated.they come on even when the engine is cold so the problem is an electrical one.any suggestions to cure this annoying problem would be appreciated thanks
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

the overtemp warning switches works by providing an earth path for the warning lamp current. Meaning if the wiring at any point enroute to the panel is erratic earthed, the warning lamps will be lit.

Rule of thumb : ALWAYS suspect your last job - no matter how sure you are !
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bill o »

thans for the reply,i had realised this is due to the cables earthing out but does anyone know of any likely places this would occur.once they dissapear from sight i have no idea which route they take to reach the dashboard.i have gone back to the last job and the only wiring disconnected was the large black connector just in front of the battery,this has been cleaned and checked.once again thanks for your help.i find the club site very helpfull as i often get the answer to various problems just by reading the posts and replys of others.
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bill o »

thanks ,i will try the connector blocks, today i pulled the connectors off the sensors and the lights were still on so it must be an earth fault somewhere.