exhaust back box clamp

BX Tech talk
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

exhaust back box clamp

Post by ellevie »

The BX exhaust back box is supported by a hook on the box which connects via a rubber mount to another hook which is welded to the side of the boot. It is quite common for the upper hook to break away from the boot due to rusting. A cheap and cheerful solution is to drill a couple of holes in the boot wall and use a clamp as shown on the photo. I used a small plate with two holes for extra support inside the boot, but a couple of suitable washers should do just as well. The type of clamp I have used is known as a "wire rope grip".

clamp, 2 hooks and rubber mount
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Elegant ....
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks Ellevie - that's a useful post.

Two of my three BXs have dropped their exhausts from here. The first time it happened I had no choice but to use a Kwik-Fit and a Hi-Q, much against my better judgement, and they told me it was illegal to weld anywhere on an exhaust system and the car would have to be scrapped.

Yeah, right.

Any proper garage will do it.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:they told me it was illegal to weld anywhere on an exhaust system and the car would have to be scrapped.
Oh dear. If it's illegal to weld anywhere on an exhaust system, I must be in super deep trouble:

Utter rubbish. Weld anything you like. If there's a big explosion, or the car catches fire, then you know not to weld there again.

As anyone who knows the BX exhaust system will realise, the one on my motah is now 1 piece. You remove the 2 bolts to the turbo flange, and the whole thing comes off in one go.

Doesn't leak though. :wink:
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Excellent idea Ellevie! :D

Definitely one to remember "just in case". 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto