pipes

BX Tech talk
seajay19gt

pipes

Post by seajay19gt »

I`m a newbie to this site,i had a bx 19gt some years ago,ans i got rid of it cos at the time i couldn`t afford to mot it,rusty brake lines were the problem regarding suspension fluid lines,it seems corrosion is a problem,would it not be possible to replace them with copper brake line,or even stainless steel to stop them rusting once and for all?
hadonebutitwentbang
Bazza
Confirmed BX'er

Re: pipes

Post by Bazza »

seajay19gt wrote:I`m a newbie to this site,i had a bx 19gt some years ago,ans i got rid of it cos at the time i couldn`t afford to mot it,rusty brake lines were the problem regarding suspension fluid lines,it seems corrosion is a problem,would it not be possible to replace them with copper brake line,or even stainless steel to stop them rusting once and for all?
Hi seajay. Nice to see you browsing the forum. Ya just cant get away from these BX's once you have had 'em.

Copper pipe goes hard and brittle if subjected to vibration as per on a car etc. Eventually, and usually without warning, they can fracture....... Copper can take the pressure though. It is used on forklift trucks at pressures (intermittent) of 1000 psi + The pressures on a BX are probably much higher than that too but I suspect Its just that hardening factor that prevents it being used on cars. Stainless,? probably the same as copper except its already hard and unforgiving before you start. Dont really know about stainless. Iron (steel) pipes are soft and malleable like copper but can absorb vibration without molecular structure changes.

phew., its a bit early in the morning for this sort of stuff.

Psssst keep lookin on this forum and keep your eye on the papers, The right BX will come along and you will be trapped.... You know it makes sense.
bazza
NZ's self promoted DS Registrar. (over 933 listed)
1970 D SPECIAL...
1988 BX TRS Auto
1988 BX TRi
1990 BX TZD TURBO ESTATE.
1989 BX TRi Auto
1985 BX GT...Manual.
1991 BX TZD Saloon in white. LOVE it.
seajay19gt

pipes

Post by seajay19gt »

thanks for the all the info re.brake and suspension lines, v.useful! I`ve always been a fan of bx`s,ever since the mid 90`s,when i used to visit a friend of mine near llandewi brefi in wales,his house was up in the hills and only accesible down a narrow and incredibly rutted track if you drove a 4x4 or a tractor,this is where the bx`s suspension really came into its own,on the high setting it got up it easily.

That was over a decade ago,since then i`ve had mostly vw or audi tdi`s currently i have a new mitsubishi colt diesel on the motability scheme,following a very nasty motorcycle accident,which left me minus my left arm just below the elbow,plus multiple leg and ankle fractures.
However,while i was browsing ebay for all the old cars i use to have i saw a couple of bx`s......and now i can`t stop thinking about the damned things,especially a tzd......they seem so cheap.{is there ever a cure!}
hadonebutitwentbang