Where is the relay for the blower motor?

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

mnde wrote:Dare I utter the words "rubber mallet" and "blower motor" together in this thread..... :o :wink:

Mark.
Yes, you do dare. I did it with great success on a BX and a Cavalier once. In fact the Cavalier one was properly getting on my nerves and after one decent blow it carried on working and never gave me a minute's trouble after that.
Vauxhall apologist.
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Unfortuantely this time of year it is dark when I get home from work, so I won't get a chance to look at it properly until the weekend.

As the motor does work on the slower speeds at the moment I will hold off on the rubber mallet for the time being :lol: But it might come to that.

To be honest I am hoping it is just the relay rather than a problem with the control panel as it is easier to get to and easier to get a replacement.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Well, I managed to look at my blower motor problem today. I must admit I was pretty conviced in was the relay at first due to the lack of it's click. But the other day the slower speeds seemed to get slower and it eventually stopped working completely. So I started thinking it must be something else so I started with the control panel today. It turned out to be that there was no earth connection on terminal 3 of the control panel when there should have been, the contact between the connector and the pcb was okay, so I guess a break must have developed somewhere in the wire.
I also noticed that the circuit diagram in the haynes manual is not quite correct; it has terminal 1 & 2 for the control panel illuminiation with 12v on pin 2 and earth on pin 1. On mine at least these were in fact the other way round and pin 2 is earth. As it happened though this was quite convienient for me as it meant the other earch on that panel was right next to the one (pin 3) with the dodge wire.
So I put a blob of solder between pins 2 & 3 so they both could share the same earth wire and it is all working again now. I assume this shouldn't cause a problem as the main current for the blower motor doesn't pass through the panel so the current is pretty low (less than 200 ma according to the multimeter) and they both just go to earth,;
not sure why there are two wires really. :?

Thanks everyone for the help
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I think this circuit diagram is closer to your circuit. Pin 2 is grounded but pin 3 goes to ground via a resistor on the power transistor module. It looks like the circuit in my 19TXD is the same as yours.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg