TZD fuel filter...again!

BX Tech talk
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

TZD fuel filter...again!

Post by ohms »

Have ordered both fuel filters from GSF and neither of them look right.

The car has a purflux filter as standard with the priming pump on the top. the one with the priming pump pointing upwards(Bosch) and not at an angle(CAV). Admittedly I haven't tried taking it off yet, but I'm assuming the canister and filter are a single unit like an oil filter, which screws off, is chucked in the bin and then a new canister with filter media fitted.

Is this correct or do i have to open it up and replace the filter element inside, re-using the canister? What's throwing me is the fact that the canister says purflux down the side so I'm assuming it's a single unit.

can somebody confirm what the crack is with it please.

Thanks chaps :)
1990 White BX TZD Turbo Estate (Boosted!)
1995 Black Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo Bathurst Edition
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: TZD fuel filter...again!

Post by DavidRutherford »

ohms wrote:do i have to open it up and replace the filter element inside, re-using the canister?
I believe this is the case. Can you post a photo of the filter unit in question? I think I know the one you're referring to but it's nice to be sure.

If it is the one I think it is, then yes there is a through-bolt from the base of the filter housing, very much like a canister-type oil filer of old.
this might be a signature
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the filter with built in primmer dose reuse the canister and you have unbolt the hole unit from the wing to undo the long bolt which runs right up through the canister from the bottom, the you just replace the the filter eliment inside
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I just fitted the whole gubbins from Halfords. Canister and filter are throwaway.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Oscar wrote:I just fitted the whole gubbins from Halfords. Canister and filter are throwaway.
You are definately right Oscar.

But this is NOT true on all and every BX TD models 8)

Some models have a re-usable filter canister - held with a long centerbolt from the bottom - and inside this canister you will find a replaceable filter element.
Also this setup is known to be a hairpuller if you are not VERY keen and accurate with the O-rings seals on top and bottom of the canister.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yes, mine had the long centre bolt too, and a bit of a fiddle with o-rings. Have I needlessly been throwing away the canister? How annoying.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"