Alternators

BX Tech talk
jrdpod
BXpert

Alternators

Post by jrdpod »

Afternoon all,

Just got a new alternator for my J reg Meteor.

The old one packed up very suddenly on Sunday. I think this had been on the car since new. The only warning I got was when the panel lights suddenly went out, and then the engine cut out. I was recovered within the hour.

Prior to this, I had noticed the battery light glow very dimly, and intermittently, but having had previous problems with rougue dash lights, I aimed to check the battery/alternator connections when I got home.

Anyway, my new alternator cost £120 (£85+VAT parts, rest labour), and I'm mobile again.

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

So your telling me you don't carry a long heavy iron bar about with you? :?

My TZD failed like yours the first time I ever took it out of Yorkshire. So we're just coming into Southampton and the radio beeps to tell me it's lost all power and the wipers just about stop. :twisted:

Out of the boot comes a big heavy bar to strike the alternator hard with. This usually dislodges the brushes enough to get a contact. Enough in fact to get us the 260 miles back home :D

Then get a "cheap" replacement out of the garage.
They think it's all over, it is now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

My DTR's alternator failed in exactly the same manner: worn out brushes. The belt on the alternator worked well and lasted for several weeks. The next belt lasted a couple of weeks. Then a week. Then just a couple of days. Eventually it lasted just a couple of hours.

Kinda got the feeling that it needed changing after that.
this might be a signature