More leaking LHM - new pipe needed

BX Tech talk
fourwheelsteer
Confirmed BX'er

More leaking LHM - new pipe needed

Post by fourwheelsteer »

Thanks to the guys who knew what they were looking for and spotted the split in the pump to pressure regulator pipe (I hope I've got that right).

Anyone know where I can get a new pipe? I spoke to Pleiades and they said they could make the pipe if I supplied the dimensions so if all else fails I can measure the one on my car. I was hoping to get the pipe for the weekend but that looks like a remote possibility now.

It is a 1991 BX14.
2008 Proton Gen2 EcoLogic
1998 Honda Prelude 2.2VTi

Now BX-less...

On my way to becoming a motoring writer.
My Blog: http://fourwheelsteer.blogspot.com/
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Genuine Citroen ones are beautifully made to the exact shape and are reasonably priced.

Order early today and you might even get it on Saturday.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

can you get a pic or dimensions? i might very randomly have one in stock, genuine original!
fourwheelsteer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by fourwheelsteer »

Not having much joy from my local Citroen dealer. They're doing their best but it is a bit outside their field of expertise. Not easy to get a clear shot because it is at the bottom of the engine. Anyway maybe these pictures will help:

It comes out of the HP pump:

Loops under the other pipes:

And goes into the pressure regulator (I think this is it):

I did my best to measure the length of pipe, it is about 475mm long to between the ends of the fittings.

It screws in with 11mm nuts (not 10 or 12 or any size I've got in a spanner).

Now BX-less...

AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Citroen parts drawing reference : 11-10-07 1230 03 3941 10 supension feed pipes, "EXCEPT POWER STEERING"
Drawing ref no 2 :
96 028 927 01(ea.) DIAM 6,35 LON 500 - PETROL AND 1.360L SINCE OPR 04193 (may '88 )
Price at my local dealer : 75.-DKK ex vat - equivalent to £7.- ex vat at your local dealer.

As you can read from the listing, the pipe is 500mm in length overall, which is pretty much what you found yourself.
The pipe is pre-bend, but you must CAREFULLY do some slight corrections to make it fit loosely in the pipeports precisely without any strain at all.
At this point only you nip up the pipe unions.
Remember to fit the pipe seals on the PIPE ends, not in the pipe ports, as it is very easy to penetrate the rubber seals by the sharp pipe ends.
Lube with LHM to ease pipes and seals into their ports.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If your local, generally unhelpful and fairly inept Citroen dealer can't help, then give Pliades a call. They can make you up a pipe from cupronickel. Yes, You'll need to bend it to shape, but being cupronickel, you can do so fairly easily. (by hand)

Comes with stainless end unions too, so not only is it easy to fit, it'll look shiny for years to come.
this might be a signature
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

That is indeed the High Pressure line between the pump and pressure regulator. It looks as though you will need to get the part number/or Plaides length for a non- power assisted car as its a St Tropez.

Amazingly, a previous owner had welded up holes in this pipe :shock: It looked to me as though they never put it back correctly, it dangled too low, and got hit by a kerb or branch, spitting the pipe where it goes into the HP pump union connection.
fourwheelsteer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by fourwheelsteer »

Ordered the pipe from my friendly local Citroen dealer. Just have to wait for it to arrive...

Now can anyone suggest the best place to buy LHM?

Now BX-less...

Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

fourwheelsteer wrote:Now can anyone suggest the best place to buy LHM?
AEP Direct http://www.aepdirect.com/citroen-part.aspx
Total £4.06 per litre
Bendix £2.87
(if you're in CCC you should get discount)

GSF http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
Total £4.00 per litre
Morris £3.50
(if you're in CCC you should get discount)

Euro Car Parts http://www.eurocarparts.com/
Total £4.40 per litre
Bendix £4.84
(Shock horror exclusive - Euro Car Parts not cheapest for everything!!!)

All the above plus VAT I think.

Halfords - eleventy billion dollars. OK I jest, but I think it was £7.99 last time I had a look :lol: :lol: :lol:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

this pipe usualy has 12mm pipe nuts, and the usual pipe nuts found on most hydraulic citroens are 8mm, 9mm and 12mm, sometimes if they have had aftermarket pipes fabricated the 8mm nuts can be replaced by 10mm, also the usual reason this pipe fails is through not being secured at all of its mounting points properly
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Don't forget to get as many new rubber pipe seals as you need (probably one for each end). AFAIR they come in at least 3 sizes. I suspect you'll be looking for the middle or , most likely, the largest size. The smallest 4.5mm seals are the ones for most straightforward pipes, but interconnecting pipes between hydraulics components tend to be much larger and beefier, as you've discovered.

See the online GS&F catalogue for details - I think they're still the cheapest place as I discovered when my local (but reasonably helpful) Citroen dealer charged me £1 each for 4.5mm seals. I bought a couple as I needed them there and then but seem to remember that Germs and Swedes are considerably cheaper, though not all branches keep them in stock.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

DLM wrote:AFAIR they come in at least 3 sizes. I suspect you'll be looking for the middle or , most likely, the largest size. The smallest 4.5mm seals are the ones for most straightforward pipes,
.... ish.

There are indeed 3 pipe sizes. 3.5mm, 4.5mm and 6.5mm. The 3.5mm pipes are used for all the suspension pipework, and for brakes on non-ABS cars. 4.5mm pipes are used for the brakes on ABS models, and 6.5 is used for the bigger pipes like between the pump and the pressure reg.

TBH I've re-used plenty of these seals before now, and provided they are in good condition, they seal just fine. The trick is to assemble the joint just slightly more than finger tight, and then tighten it until it stops leaking. That way you don't squish the seal any more than is needed, and you're far more likely to be able to get the joint apart again in the future.

That said, new seals from GSF are pence each, so it's worth having a little supply of them handy. I think if you buy pipes from Plieades, you get new seals with them anyway.
this might be a signature