Difficult starting

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Ok i have a couple of spare ones so i will swap it and then strip the other one and see.

thanks tom
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Checking the continuity of leads is quite simple with a multimeter. Set it to 20 volts and connect it accross the lead in question - so to check the engine earth connect negative to battery negative and the positive to the engine. There should be no reading. Now operate the starter and look at the reading. Again it should be zero or very close to it. Having satisfied yourself the likely reading will be low you can reduce the range to 5 volts if you have it. If the voltage approached 0.25 volts then you have found a problem which must be rectified.

The figure of 0.25 volts is taken from a Range Rover alternator check procedure. Personally I think its a bit high and would aim for less.

This technique can be used for the live lead as well (Batt + and starter and so on)

If you have a sticky brush you may be able to temporarily free it by striking the starter motor with a metal bar or something. This would give you a clue as to what is the problem.

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you cant get hold of a +ve lead, what about a battery connector, the one where you would cut the old one off and then insert the cable which you would then clamp down with two screws on the terminal.
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi ken i have replaced the leads + lead of a 309 diesel and the earth lead of a xantia my old leads when off did look very tatty and smothered in oil.
I will have a look at your technique jeremy and see what i can find.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Incidentally some accessory shops sell a collection of ready made battery and other heavy starter type leads.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The bx + lead has the heavy duty lead to the starter but also has a short tail of the battery connector with a moulded connector block for the loom but all the accesory shops only have a straight lead without the moulded connector therefore i would still have to cut the lead and use a new connector on the battery end which would be a lot of messing around instead of a straight swap but as i said the Pug 309 diesel lead is exactly the same and are easier to get hold off.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

A bit of ingenuity would allow you to by-pass the connector for the starter - get a lead with 2 flat terminals with holes, one end for the starter, one for the battery, under the existing bolt. Just leave the plug in the circuit - its not doing any harm and the other connections using it seem OK.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Well I changed the starter yesterday and this morning it started fine, when i stripped the old starter yesterday it was full of muck and old thick grease and the bearings were very stiff the brass bush had also worn right through and had cracked in two places although the brushes were fine. :D