Engine question

BX Tech talk
Kingswell
BXpert

Engine question

Post by Kingswell »

By any chance is the TU engine in the BX14 the same as the one in say an AX14 from' 87 onwards? Any other cars with this engine?

Also can an an upper speedo cable be repaired if it hasnt snapped but just come loose of that small grey bit at the bottom with a square hole in it?
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

A few of the later BX14's had the ax engine & gearbox. I think it may have been injected rather than carbs?

Dont know answer to 2nd question....
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

In principle any PSA (Peug/Cit) model variant with 1.4L (1.360L) TU3 engine from approx '87 to some '95 should have the exact same engine. There are differences however - more than just the carby / monopoint injection differences.

Look for you engine code label on the engine. For the TU3 engine this will be a K1G, K1A, KDY or KDZ or similar code, telling you exactly which TU3 variant engine it is. Any TU3 engine with the same code - and maybe some other code variants - would be directly drop-ins for replacements.

The speedo cables are available as common spares at low cost max £10. It does not pay fiddling with this bit riscing no speedo function after hours of a jobby.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Yes mine is the TU3A alloy engine the K1G variant. Peugeots and AXs are very common here so I'll get their parts since citroen and other suppliers are useless with BX parts. I will be looking for a scrapped car though if the engine is cheap.

The speedo cable isn't available at any of the places I called including citroen. Price from GSF is 9GBP + 8GBP which is a bit much for a part that has failed quickly for me (current part is less than a year old).
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
ami8i

Post by ami8i »

Hello Kingswell,
yes in priniciple all 1360ccm engines are 'the same' but some exceptions should noted:

The most modern engine in BX14 was the KDY iron cast block (+ slightly modified bell housing) as known from AX GTi (MPI) and Diesel.
The alloy KDZ and KDY are compatible to all other TU engines and MA gear boxes.
Remember that valve timing is slightly different between carbed and injected (also SPI) engines. Don't ask me about behave of 'wrong' cam shaft.

KDX was (never in BX) made after KDY and has got wasted spark ignition + Magneti Marelli SPI --> harness + ECU required!
If you want to use SPI, please note that AX harness is much different than BX harness, because AX14 ECU is in engine bay (intead of under passengers seat).

If you know what you're doing any swap is possible, just pick up all required parts. :)

»Horst
BX 16 TGI Break (but with BX14 engine (KDY) + c/r 10.3:1 + longest gear box (AX Diesel) + OEM steering assitance)
Ami8i Break (V06/630+EFI+catalytic converter)
ex BX 19 Break 4WD "Sold"