Cooling system bleeding.

BX Tech talk
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Cooling system bleeding.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi, or should that be bleeding cooling system!! A little while ago Jon and others were having a 'Barsteward' of a job bleeding the later 1-9 td system with the later thermostat/fuel heater that is located on the head(as opposed to the heater down the back of the cylinder block. I think that I had better say now that I hope that is what was being talked about and sorry if I've got it mixed up, a bit foggy at the moment. Due to bypassing the heater on mine, as it was suspect of leaking air, I thought it would be a good idea to have a heater as it's getting frosty and the injection pump is not that young. The later housing has been fitted, to avoid bleeding problems (hopefully) I drilled a 3mm hole in the flange of the thermostat, positioned at 12 o'clock as close to the rubber sealing ring as I could,without touching it.
I think it's fair to say that it's worked quite well. Bled the bleed at the end of the radiator, which is the only one I've got, ran it, bled the radiator twice,let the fans come in and go off, gave the top rad hose a squeeze which moved a tiny bit of air, one more quick bleed of the rad just to make sure and that was that. No problems at all since.
Worth a pop I think.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.