1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Diesel on clutch = slippage

Post by MULLEY »

Changed my fuel filter today, but in the process some diesel spilt out into the engine bay, thought nothing about it.

A few hours later set off in car & it was slipping something chronic, realised it may have been the diesel getting onto the clutch as the car had been absolutely fine until the filter change.

Er, will the diesel burn off under heat whilst using the car? or is there something else i can do to clean it off???
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hmm, I thought the clutch housing was pretty much sealed? dunno,
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

It should be possible to simply burn it out, by starting off in high gear, letting the clutch slip well and truly.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Cheers Anders, i'll give it a go tomorrow....i'll report back on success or failure....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeah you could, but normal usage should see it sorted.
They think it's all over, it is now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Burning off large amounts of oil or diesel on the clutch is asking for trouble. You're likely to burn the friction material, overheat and crack the flywheel surface and overheat (and hence knacker) the spring plate. You may find that the clutch never stops slipping and you end up having to not only change it, but also have the flywheel re-faced.

My advice would be to use some cheap white spirit, and "spill" it into the same place as the diesel went. There are some fairly obvious holes in the top of the bellhousing, and I'll bet that's where the diesel went in. Do this with the clutch depressed so that you rinse the surfaces of the friction material, and then leave the clutch depressed with a bar while you leave it to dry.

I've also successfully used a strong mix of fairy-up liquid, and then rinsed it out well with a pressure washer (with the engine running, but the clutch depressed, gearbox in gear and handbrake solidly on to ensure a decent rinsing throughout the clutch) Thereafter leaving the car with the clutch depressed to allow it to completely dry out.

There is of course the risk of either contaminating the release bearing with water, or removing any lubricant there may (or may not) be on the input shaft splines, but if you're careful that risk is far less than the risk of damaging the clutch with excessive slippage.

It's worth spending some effort to make sure the clutch is cleaned off as changing a clutch that you didn't have to is unfunny.
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

What he says.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

DavidRutherford wrote:Burning off large amounts of oil or diesel on the clutch is asking for trouble. You're likely to burn the friction material, overheat and crack the flywheel surface and overheat (and hence knacker) the spring plate. You may find that the clutch never stops slipping and you end up having to not only change it, but also have the flywheel re-faced.

My advice would be to use some cheap white spirit, and "spill" it into the same place as the diesel went. There are some fairly obvious holes in the top of the bellhousing, and I'll bet that's where the diesel went in. Do this with the clutch depressed so that you rinse the surfaces of the friction material, and then leave the clutch depressed with a bar while you leave it to dry.

I've also successfully used a strong mix of fairy-up liquid, and then rinsed it out well with a pressure washer (with the engine running, but the clutch depressed, gearbox in gear and handbrake solidly on to ensure a decent rinsing throughout the clutch) Thereafter leaving the car with the clutch depressed to allow it to completely dry out.

There is of course the risk of either contaminating the release bearing with water, or removing any lubricant there may (or may not) be on the input shaft splines, but if you're careful that risk is far less than the risk of damaging the clutch with excessive slippage.

It's worth spending some effort to make sure the clutch is cleaned off as changing a clutch that you didn't have to is unfunny.
Thats the devil on the wall - worst case scenario.
Since you are depicting a big jobbie clutch change anyways - I'd certainly try my own option first - before splitting the drivetrain in halves.

If you dont try - you will never win :wink:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Cheers for the advice chaps, it is better than it was, but i'm hoping driving it everyday will eventually burn it off over time, failing that i'll have a go at cleaning it with the methods described.....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

or a new one :wink:
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

u never know Ken :lol:, for my sake i hope not.....
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Hi Mulley ..........I did the same thing the first time I changed the deisel filter,it took around 60/70 miles or so to just wear off .............I was advised by some-one to pour coca-cola :shock: :? down the clutch housing [in the same way as David R. describes with soapy water ................heavens knows what the guy who gave me that advice knows about "Coke" :? :? ] .........but I thought better of it and it just cleared up anyway.
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Terry Brooks wrote:heavens knows what the guy who gave me that advice knows about "Coke" :?
Cleans copper coins well? :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Sorry, did I miss something? Where did David split the drivetrain?
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Way2go wrote:
Terry Brooks wrote:heavens knows what the guy who gave me that advice knows about "Coke" :?
Cleans copper coins well? :lol:
:lol: So does HP Sauce and Heinz Ketchup :shock: ...............and I would'nt pour that F***er down either :wink:
T. :wink:
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence