Diesel on clutch = slippage

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Terry Brooks wrote: :lol: So does HP Sauce and Heinz Ketchup :shock: ...............and I would'nt pour that F***er down either :wink:
T. :wink:
:roll: Dunno, If your mixing or running SVO or alternatives, goes with the smell of the chips! :wink: :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Terry Brooks wrote:
Way2go wrote:
Terry Brooks wrote:heavens knows what the guy who gave me that advice knows about "Coke" :?
Cleans copper coins well? :lol:
:lol: So does HP Sauce and Heinz Ketchup :shock: ...............and I would'nt pour that F***er down either :wink:
T. :wink:
:shock: Actually :roll:
Thinkin about it .......... :? :wink:
Vinegar or Electrical Switchcleaner would be my option.
If it did'nt clear up itself and I was gettin worried about the possible results.
Seriously though,it would be a "last option".
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Stuart Hedges wrote:Sorry, did I miss something? Where did David split the drivetrain?
DavidRutherford wrote:Burning off large amounts of oil or diesel on the clutch is asking for trouble. You're likely to burn the friction material, overheat and crack the flywheel surface and overheat (and hence knacker) the spring plate. You may find that the clutch never stops slipping and you end up having to not only change it, but also have the flywheel re-faced.

My advice would be to use some cheap white spirit, and "spill" it into the same place as the diesel went. There are some fairly obvious holes in the top of the bellhousing, and I'll bet that's where the diesel went in. Do this with the clutch depressed so that you rinse the surfaces of the friction material, and then leave the clutch depressed with a bar while you leave it to dry.

I've also successfully used a strong mix of fairy-up liquid, and then rinsed it out well with a pressure washer (with the engine running, but the clutch depressed, gearbox in gear and handbrake solidly on to ensure a decent rinsing throughout the clutch) Thereafter leaving the car with the clutch depressed to allow it to completely dry out.

There is of course the risk of either contaminating the release bearing with water, or removing any lubricant there may (or may not) be on the input shaft splines, but if you're careful that risk is far less than the risk of damaging the clutch with excessive slippage.

It's worth spending some effort to make sure the clutch is cleaned off as changing a clutch that you didn't have to is unfunny.
Try as I might, the closest word I can find that David has used to "split" is "spill"... Sounds similar, but very different things:

Spill:
verb, spilled or spilt, spill·ing, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to cause or allow to run or fall from a container, esp. accidentally or wastefully: to spill a bag of marbles; to spill milk.
2. to shed (blood), as in killing or wounding.
3. to scatter: to spill papers all over everything.
4. Nautical. a. to let the wind out of (a sail).
b. to lose (wind) from a sail.

5. to cause to fall from a horse, vehicle, or the like: His horse spilled him.
6. Informal. to divulge, disclose, or tell: Don't spill the secret.
–verb (used without object) 7. (of a liquid, loose particles, etc.) to run or escape from a container, esp. by accident or in careless handling.
–noun 8. a spilling, as of liquid.
9. a quantity spilled.
10. the mark made by something spilled.
11. a spillway.
12. Also called spill light. superfluous or useless light rays, as from theatrical or photographic lighting units.
13. Theater. an area of a stage illuminated by spill light.
14. a throw or fall from a horse, vehicle, or the like: She broke her arm in a spill.
—Idiom15. spill the beans. bean (def. 11).

Split:
- Show IPA Pronunciation verb, split, split·ting, noun, adjective
–verb (used with object) 1. to divide or separate from end to end or into layers: to split a log in two.
2. to separate by cutting, chopping, etc., usually lengthwise: to split a piece from a block.
3. to tear or break apart; rend or burst: The wind split the sail.
4. to divide into distinct parts or portions (often fol. by up): We split up our rations.
5. to separate (a part) by such division.
6. to divide (persons) into different groups, factions, parties, etc., as by discord: to split a political party.
7. to separate (a group, family, etc.) by such division.
8. to cast (a ballot or vote) for candidates of more than one political party.
9. to divide between two or more persons, groups, etc.; share: We split a bottle of wine.
10. to separate into parts by interposing something: to split an infinitive.
11. Physics, Chemistry. to divide (molecules or atoms) by cleavage into smaller parts.
12. to issue additional shares of (stock) without charge to existing stockholders, thereby dividing their interest into a larger number of shares and reducing the price per share.
13. Slang. leave; depart from: Let's split this scene.
–verb (used without object) 14. to divide, break, or part lengthwise: The board split in half.
15. to part, divide, or separate in any way (often fol. by up): The group of children split up into two teams. We'll split up here and meet later.
16. to break asunder, as a ship by striking on a rock.
17. to become separated, as a piece or part from a whole.
18. to part or separate, as through disagreement; sever relations: They split up after a year of marriage. He split with the company after a policy dispute.
19. to divide or share something with another or others; apportion.
20. Slang. to leave; depart.
–noun 21. the act of splitting.
22. a crack, tear, or fissure caused by splitting.
23. a piece or part separated by or as by splitting.
24. a breach or rupture, as between persons, in a party or organization, etc.
25. a faction, party, etc., formed by a rupture or schism.
26. an ice-cream dish made from sliced fruit, usually a banana, and ice cream, and covered with syrup and nuts.
27. Also called, especially British, nip. a bottle for wine or, sometimes, another beverage, containing from 6 to 61/2 oz. (170 to 184 g).
28. a bottle, as of soda, liquor, etc., which is half the usual size.
29. a strip split from an osier, used in basketmaking.
30. Masonry. a brick of normal length and breadth but of half normal thickness, used to give level support to a course of bricks laid over one not level.
31. Often, splits. the feat of separating the legs while sinking to the floor, until they extend at right angles to the body, as in stage performances or gymnastics.
32. Bowling. an arrangement of the pins remaining after the first bowl in two separated groups, so that a spare is difficult.
33. Philately. bisect (def. 5).
34. one of the layers of leather into which a skin is cut.
35. the act of splitting a stock.
–adjective 36. that has undergone splitting; parted lengthwise; cleft.
37. disunited; divided: a split opinion.
38. (of a stock quotation) given in sixteenths instead of eighths of a point.
39. (of a stock) having undergone a split.
—Idioms40. split hairs. hair (def. 11).
41. split the difference. difference (def. 13).

Or maybe I'm splitting hairs!! :lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

tim leech wrote:What he says.
What he said that someone else had already said.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Seemed a lot better today, only a bit of slip when gunning the throttle, hopefully a few more days commuting to work & back will see it back to normal.....