Pinion valve on a valver

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well having done some research around Mi16 circles, it looks like it's possible to very slightly kink a valve while timing a head. Basically when you clamps the cams down, if one rotates under it's own load one valve can clip another. The result is a valve that doesn't lose compression but one that gets very lightly tapped by the piston (or rubs the other valve) causing the tapping noise. The tappets themselves now seem quiet and smooth but this noise persists. There's oil flow to them too and a cleaned out the rail and fitted new seals. It's too harsh a noise to be tappets now.

As far as PAS goes, the pipes are now the right way around in the FDV for sure. Next thing is to take the filters out of the FDV and check them, but I've been told if the seals or filters have broken up the LHM would be all shitty, which it isn't. It's bright green.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's possible to totally bugger valves pulling cam caps down, thats why you time the cams before pulling the caps down!

Head off again then Kitch?
OR, consider Alan's words carefully.....

As for the PAS problem....
Since you've replaced everything and it still dont work..
Is there actually any pressure feed at all to the pinion?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I reckon thats probably what happened. Just tops off a list of issues with that car now. The TVR has been half as much hassle in the same amount of time!

I haven't checked to see what's got pressure, as I wouldn't know where to look. Are there any return lines I can check at the res?

The car is seriously starting to irritate the shit out of me!! It's now losing water daily, although there are no leaks. It goes like hell and sounds glorious on full beans, but sounds like a bag of rusty spanners at normal driving speeds. The steering doesn't work, the back squats down when you break now too and this new gearbox makes awful noises in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It's also stiff to change gear with, although in other departments it's as good as gold.

Couple that to the fact that lefty Labour are charging me 104pence a litre for the weak crap that is normal unleaded, I end up with a car that pinks it's tits off doing 24mpg.

Angry? I am! :evil:

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

99RON is about 108.9 a litre in Bristol, on a good day, it hurts, but I live with it! Just. Only cos I dont have a choice.

If you undo the HP feed pipe to the pinion and fire it up, you should get ALOT of fluid issuing forth. If not, you need to work back from there.

If there is a huge amount of fluid issuing forth, then the next thing to do is pull the pipes to the ram and turn the steering, again, lots of fluid?

Check the feed pipe carefully, is it vrushed anywhere in the region from the "curly" to where it is secured to the subframe with the clip?

As for the gearbox, if you still have the old one, when you have some spare cash (er, although buying houses tends to pi$$ out all your cash....) then I'll gladly build you up a box if you so desire..

As for the engine, need to have a listen really, but I'm sure without a horrid amount of expense I could Doc it for ya...

I aint built a duff one yet. Although with that cars history, it could be a first......

EDIT: although bear in mind I'm up to my eye balls for the next couple of months....

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

That feed pipe comes from the FDV doesn't it? So I could undo it there? (as it's much easier to access!)

I still think the fact it used to die briefly under very heavy braking a few years ago must have something to do with it, but can't figure out what.

I do still have the spare box, but don't know if it's shafted or not! The engine actually runs fine, starts on the button, goes like the clappers now aswell. It's just that tapping, but I'll intend to cure that by changing the head!

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yep, if you're looking at the FDV from the front of the car it's the on the bottom edge, nearest the N/S inner wing (if that makes sense?)

You can indeed undo it there!

It may be worth stripping the box and rebuilding it, then you can keep it on the shelf for future use.
Thats what I'm doing..

As for the tappy noise, I'd be very tempted to find out exactley why it's making said tappy noise before swopping the head, unless you're sure it's a bent valve...