BXpert

milky oil

Post by saint gaz »

in the gear box... any ideas?
just drain and re fill?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've had this a couple of times, condensation.
I just changed the oil, ran it for 500 miles and changed it again.
No problems so far.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

May be worth running a spanner over the various nuts and bolts holding the thing together - my TD one seems to have stopped leaking since I did this.

No excessive force - the bolts or studs will snap.
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

could this be the cause of a "whiring" sound when gear box in not under load. by that i mean i have just noticed a sound when car is in gear but not under exceleration
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'd have said no to the noise. The milky looking oil is a water/oil emulsion which will still have some lubricating qualities and indeed if it gets really hot may go back to oil.

The noise is probably the clutch release bearing - does it change if the clutch pedal is pressed?

My TD has made noises from the gearbox/clutch ever since I've had it (8+ years now). All goes quiet when the clutch pedal is pressed which suggests to me its the release bearing etc aned I'll wait till something else goes before attending to it.

Incidentally near the top of the box there is a plastic vent - Is it still there? Is water running in its area which is getting into the box?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Whirring does sound like it could be the clutch release bearing. I've had cars that have had this problem and had thousands of miles out of them. Worth doing if it gets unbearable or, of course, if you have reason to split the engine/box anyhow.
Vauxhall apologist.