XM (sorry) diesel auto

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

XM (sorry) diesel auto

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi Folks

I'm eyeing up an XM 2.1 diesel auto for sale near me. Worryingly near in fact! Just aware that XMs are capable of terrifying electrical faults and that the auto box is not the most robust. As I'll no doubt end up using the thing to tow projects about, should I move on and get something else? Or will it be ok as long as I treat it to regular fluid changes?

Ian
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

From what I know of XM autos I would steer clear if your thinking of using it as a tow car, try and find a manual one.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Darn. Thanks Tim. P'raps I need to find me a nice TizeeDee!
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Hmm I'm not sure I'd be confident doing a hill-start in a manual XM while towing something... :shock: because of that daft handbrake.

Maybe an auto would be okay, if you fitted the gearbox with an oil cooler as D Rutherford has suggested in another thread.

Cheers,

Mark.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Not sure if they were fitted as standard, but every XM auto I've seen has an oil cooler fitted including the onenow parked on our drive.

I'd go for it, if it were the right price. They are fantastic cars. Yes electrical gremlins do exist but not as bad as you'd expect. Certainly not in the modern car league.

If you don't go for it, mind passing on the info? Please. :P
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's strong money at £1095 and no mention of mileage. It's on Auto Trader in Cambridgeshire. Sorry, I haven''t worked out how to link to Auto Trader yet!

Think I'll pass on it. Maybe. I wish I could be more decisive!