Advice needed for buying a BX

BX Tech talk
Angus

Advice needed for buying a BX

Post by Angus »

Hi there. I am thinking about buying a BX GTi 4x4. I know the problems associated with getting parts for the four wheel drive system, but is there anything else I should look out for? It has done less that 54k and I have been assured that it is in immaculate condition. I know that inner wing rust can be a problem, but is there anything else I should look for? I have owned three BXs in the past year (!), a 17TZD estate, a 19TGD hatchback and an immaculate 17TZD hatchback. Thanks for any help, Angus.
Last edited by Angus on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

4x4's do indeed have the problems with the four wheel drive system, I think its not a case of it will fail but when, the exhaust system is bespoke to the car as its rerouted to clear the propshaft so ensure thats not leaking or rusty as they hellishly expensive to replace if you can find one.

As with any BX, look out for rusty inner wings, A posts including door hinges coming adrift, bootfloors at the edges, the seam between the door step section and the rear quater panel, rusty and snapped sunbrame mounts, engine wise these engines do get rattly and smoky with miles which is more likely the valve stem seals and cam bearings than the crank etc, interiros are shared with all Gtis but watch for blocked sunroof drains which will lead to damp interiors and eventually rusted out floors, suspension wise again as usual with any BX look for LHM leaks, a hard ride, and a worn pump and sticky power steering.

If this is simrans car were talking about it is indeed a very nice car but has been stood for a few years so will need a thorough service and a cambelt before you use it.

Good luck with the purchase.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, it is Simran's car. Will speak to him. The only problem is that I'm in Edinburgh and he's in Leicester so viewing the car is a problem.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Angus there are still some 4x4 BXs about, or at least there were, for spares so not a complete waste of time trying to find spares. Exhausts and four wheel drive parts probably a pita but it's not impossible to have exhausts remanafactured I would have thought.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Whats the matter with 2wd Gti's :D more plentiful & less financial pain than those 4x4's. Also they are less economical & slower......

However, if you do manage to save this one, then well done :D

I think Medway Citroen still have that spare transfer box lying around??
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The 4x4 exhaust can be build from standard 2" piping and boxes.
Also any cat fitted may be build using a standard aftermarket unit and some 2" piping.
Worst part is the downpipe section to the cat, as this has an odd bend and curving to clear the transfer box and propshaft.

The drivetrain bits will cause you real pain at some point as noted up thread.
Please also note that your local blacksmith might become a good friend, when you need new piping for the rear suspension spheres (not the cylinders, but the spheres !).
Another pain-point : the front HC linkage is hidden and most in-accessible by all means. You will know when the front height must be adjusted ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Angus

Post by Angus »

Thanks for the replies. The reason I am wanting a 4x4 is because they are rare. I have also been in contact with Medway Citroen about spares already.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Plus, insurance for me (19 in a couple of days) is quite reasonable. Only £100 than my 17TZD hatchback.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I can vouch for the fun of the GTi 2wd version and personally would recommend them, this being my third. I can't think of a driver's advantage of the 4x4 unless you were going off-road and that wouldn't be sensible on a car of this age.
However if it is just to be a show car then the rarety is possibly appealing but in my opinion it's good to be able to drive the car normally without the extra complex issues.
Good luck though if you do decide to go ahead. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Angus

Post by Angus »

It's not really to be a show car, it's just, I don't know. I just really like them. They are quite unusual and very rare. I'd jut like something a bit different. Plus they are the cheapest GTis to insure, but not that that makes too much difference.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

They are very rare, so i'm sure everyone in the club wishes you all the best in sourcing a good one & hopefully running it for many years to come.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Good luck Angus, Ive seen the car and can verify its bodily in excellent order but hasnt been far for along time, im not that far away from Leicester myself so happy to help out if your down this way and need a lift or another set of eyes etc.

If you are buying the 4x4 and it were me I would be inclined to cherish and keep it for high days and holidays to save wear and tear and keep the nice low miles down as it may be the only 4x4 left in a year or too!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:I would be inclined to cherish and keep it for high days and holidays to save wear and tear and keep the nice low miles down as it may be the only 4x4 left in a year or too!
I do believe that you too would be the right custodian to save one of this breed for posterity Tim. That model surely would become a centrepiece at a future CCC show when the BX finally gets the recognition we know it should. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ive got enough on my hands with the 2 I have, the 4x4 is a care I would always be worried about driving incase the unthinkable happened.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Thanks Tim. It would only be used during uni holidays anyway, and well looked after.