BX update and steering question

BX Tech talk
RKM
Confirmed BX'er

BX update and steering question

Post by RKM »

I hope some may be interested in a little update of my crinkly French warhorse; if not, as Frankie Howard said “please yourselves”…or something.

My BX ownership has hit a crossroad: sell or keep it running. Despite the face that the car has had very little spent on it in the past 2 years (other than the obligatory 5,000 mile service) and it sailed through its MoT last time without anything needing doing.

She is now up to 136,000 miles but I do feel she is far from dead. In fact, last year, she was treated a little bit. A new n/s/f driveshaft was procured and some welding was required at the top of the n/s/r wheel-arch. The under body was then fully waxoyled.

She rewarded me with 100% reliable transport last year, including a trip to France without needing the bonnet lifting. Thankfully, my mileage has dropped in the last 18 months as I now work primarily from home. Instead of the usual 20,000 miles of BXing, 2007 saw a more sedate 8,000 miles covered.

So, I have decided to waste, sorry, invest some cash into the car to keep her up-to-scratch, with the problems being:

1. Headlights going “dim” – solved by buying a new set on e-bay for £30 inc postage. (now fitted)

2. Alternator died and was replaced with a spurious second-hand one from a car with approx 180,000 miles recorded. This part has been on my car for 2 years now and must be living on borrowed time. I bought a reconditioned unit from my local motor factors, as they are having a clearout. £25 later, I hope it fits!

3. Radiator is going a little mushy at the bottom. An e-bay bargain 18-month old radiator was procured for £15.

4. Very occasional knocking from the front suspension. A new set of drop-links have been ordered from GSF, the ones fitted currently are believed to be original.

5. Two Michelin tyres have been ordered as the back ones are on the limit.

6. Hydraflush and LHM change will follow.

All the above are due to be fitted / performed in the summer.

However, I do have a problem with the steering (surprise, surprise). I know this is somewhat of a common problem but please bear with me as I need help with this one before I flush bucket loads of cash down the dunny. Here’s the current situation.

1. The pump has been replaced with a known good one. Suspension pumps up fine.

2. The FDV was replaced with one from an 80,000 miles TGD Turbo hatch with rear-end damage. That FDV was in unknown condition though.

3. When hydraflush was in the system 2 years ago, the steering worked fine. After 200 miles, running on regular LHM, it goes heavy again intermittently.

The PAS seems to stop working when the suspension pump “cuts off”, that is when the pressure in the system is up to requirements. When the suspension system needs pressure, such as when the car is started on a morning, the PAS works fine, even without hesitation on a cold morning with thick LHM.

The PAS stops working regardless of whether the wheel is turned left or right. It seems worse when the car is moving, such as negotiating a corner, or moving at very slow speed, such as when performing a 3-point-turn.

Replacing the FDV with a second-hand one has made no long-term difference.

The steering improves if the car is put on its full height setting, the pressure regulator’s 12mm bolt is slacked by 3 turns, the engine is revved to 3-4,000rpm while the steering is turned left and right about 10 times. The screw is then tightened and the car lowered. This makes the steering a little better and less erratic in the difference between having full PAS and no/little PAS, but doesn’t 100% solve the problem.

I want to fix this problem as my girlfriend has to use the car occasionally and I view this fault as dangerous. If unsolved, I will consider selling the car as the steering fault transforms a very nice car into an horrible drive. I have had this problem for the last 40,000 miles or so.

Help!
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Just a shot in the dark on this. Is your accumulator sphere going flat? I'm thinking that lack of reserve pressure will directly affect the steering whereas the suspension has the wheel spheres to keep it going and for £20 it might be worth replacing it.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
RKM
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RKM »

Thanks Dave. Te accumulator sphere was replaced with a new one from GSF two years ago. No difference to the steering was noticed.

I wonder if my replacement FDV is also fooked....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Either the pinion is on it's way out, or the HP pump is getting weak, assuming the FDV is actually doing it's thing.
TBH I'd start with the pump.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
RKM
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RKM »

Thanks for the reply but the pump ws replaced with a known good one. On cold mornings, the steering works fine first thing as it pumps the suspension up at the same time.

If the pinion has gone, wouldn't the steering fail in one direction only?

The mystery continues....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Still sounds like the pump to me.
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, sounds like the pump to me aswell.

Pinions USUALLY fail in one direction first, but not always.
I'm still putting my money on the pump.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

As you already have swapped the pump for a tested good unit, my money is on the FDV. This is by far more likely the problem than the pump, when talking power steering issues.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2865

IF the pump were the cause for heavy steering, you should clearly feel the individual piston knocks from the pump in the wheel while turning.
Also note that the acc sphere does not influence the power steering, as the pressure for power steering (and FDV) is taken before the acc sphere.
The acc sphere only has one purpose : to store a safety pressure reserve for the brakes.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
RKM
Confirmed BX'er

re

Post by RKM »

I can't feel the "beats" through the steering (could with the last pump though). As I mentioned, it works fine on cold mornings until the system is up to pressure.

The boss is using the BX at the mo, as the dratted clutch clip has gone on her Xantia....AGAIN!!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Scrap the x@ant1a and buy a new pump for the BX with the money :lol:

My only experience with FDV/PAS failure, the PAS did not work at all.
They think it's all over, it is now!
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Sounds like dirt to me. Change your LHM, and I bet things will go a lot better....for a while.

Hydraflush lets loose a lot of gunk, and it takes several LHM changes to get rid of it, in my experience.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Could it be that the belt is not tight enough or contaminated with oil ?

On the 19TRS heavy steering can result if the belt isn't REALLY tight.

See http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3815
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg