Changing fuel lines

BX Tech talk
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Changing fuel lines

Post by sausage »

Hi,

Just wondering how easy it is to change the metal diesel supply/return lines? Brenda has developed a bit of a leak and the lines need changing unless anyone can suggest a 'quick fix'. I've recently moved house so don't have the luxury of off street parking at the moment so despite wanting to do it myself, unless it's a pretty straightforward job I'll have to pack her off to a garage.

Oh, on the garage topic can anyone recommend a bx friendly garage near Bolton (Westhoughton)?

Thanks, Simon
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

very easy and very cheap i cant recall any pitfalls a simple ase of one for one but if there is a problem one of the boffins will post.
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

sorry about the double post :oops:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Teah it's easy to do, even at the side of the road.
Take care to note where the pipes cross over each other though, about where they swing out towards the sill away from the chassis leg. But it's very straight forward.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

thnaks for the info, will have a better look now that it's light. is it possible to patch a leak sort term? I'm heading back to my old house next weekend with tools and drive so a little easier to do a full replacement.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You may be able to splice a length of plastic or fuel tube in if only one bit is corroded.

However:

When you start fiddling with old steel pipe you may find it all falls to bits

If you're going this route measure the outside diameter of the pipe and see if you can find something that will fit snugly and ideally can be fitted so that there is a considerable overlap. You will need small clips (as the fuel supply pipe is under suction it will let air in without necessarily letting fuel out - so pipe should be tight.

B&Q often sell a number of sizes of clear plastic pipe - some re-inforced. This is not perfect and will harden eventually (after several years)
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

had a better look now. seems pretty straight forward job to replace the lines. questions though,

If I bought from say GSF, would the lines be pre-bent?

Are the metal lines just a push fit into the bottom of the tank/front rubber pipes? I Can't see any clamps.

May be a daft question but will the tank need draining??
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes they are pre-shaped and they are just pushed on to the existing rubber pipes.

However have some fairy liquid at hand and it pays to have some jubilee clips handy as the rubber is old and may not seal very well.

I've always found that the smaller diameter pipe is too long to fit up the rubber tube at the tank end and needs a bit cutting off.
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

/\ what Ken said.
And no, you dont have to drain the tank, all you loose is what in the lines.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

Thanks Guys,

Will get some ordered and let you know how it goes.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

I bought these pipes from Citroën a few months ago, and they were very reasonable, about a fiver apiece (although this is in France).
sausage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by sausage »

UPDATE:

Managed to complete a temporary fix via the wonders of self amalgamating tape. It's held for the last week so fingers crossed it'll stay intact for two more weeks when I'll fit the new pipes!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

My tuppence worth -

(we're talking about the tank-to-engine supply lines under the car, right?)

I took the old pipe off and the feed from the tank just kept on flowing - I had to plug it.

The new pipe, bought at a main Citroen dealer, was too short at one end and too long at another. That sounds stupid until you realise that it's pre-bent. The tank end was about 3 inches longer than the original, and the engine end was about 2 inches too short.

The pipe is still in my cellar, the old one is still going strong on the car.

Amalgamating tape is a top bodge. I've repaired the suspension on mine to MoT pass standards.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"