bleeding a turbo d

BX Tech talk
pikey

bleeding a turbo d

Post by pikey »

hey all, a couple o questions before i finish the waterpump replacement on my turbo d.
i dont now if i'm just dumb or maybe the cold has turned my brain numb but i cant get the bleed ontop of the radiator to open, the book of lies shows a thumb screw type effort but mine seems to only turn 90 degrees and then no more, but it turns quite freely during those 90 deg, i have tried pushing,pulling,swearing all to no avail, someone please tell me the secret, the rad drain plug is the same but i got round that buy removing the bottom hose.
the other question is that the bol shows 2 bleeds on the thermostat but my car only has one, does this mean i'm more likely to have to pressurise the system whilst bleeding it?

cheers fellas
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The bleed and drain plugs are the same. You need to pull and twist at the same time. You may need a pair of pliers to get better grip. But don't go mad and just twist, pull at the same time.

Mine only has one bleed screw on, some have a bleed on one of the hoses, so I undid the hose at one end to assist bleeding.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I think, from your description, that the way your bleed works is turn 90 degrees then *pull* upon which it will withdraw by about 1/2 an inch. It may need a firm tug with pliers...

Some cars have a bleed on or by the thermostat housing, my turbo did not; having the expansion tank the turbo's aren't quite as tricky to bleed as the NA models.

Heater on hot, fill expansion tank until bubble free-air floods from the rad bleed, then fill expansion tank to the very top! I then would again open the bleed briefly to confirm no trapped air.

Start engine and run until thermostat opens, adding water if and as required, then go for a run and it will find it's own level.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
pikey

Post by pikey »

cheers for the sanity saving advise, although i had a few moments of doubt as the new water pump that had been torqued to specified settings proceeded to leak water past the gasket in a fairly vigorous manner. fortunately a little tighter on the bolts and the cooling system up to temp seemed to sort the job.
roll on the next challange.