LHM Fluid Level

BX Tech talk
charlotte001

LHM Fluid Level

Post by charlotte001 »

Yesterday I aquired a 1990 TZS Auto BX 19 and ok it's in need of a little TLC ie a headlight is a fish tank and one door needs it's hinge rewelded but otherwise it runs and stops (always a good thing)

How much LHM should there be in the resevior? I think mine needs a top up as it's just under half full

Charlotte
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Suspension on high. Top up untill little yellow marker is between the lines in the little clear bubble on top of the reservoir.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Clogzz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Clogzz »

Picture from the Xantia owner’s book, not identical, but still the same. :roll:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 207,000 km 76372389
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

/\ That shows a LOW fluid level on a BX. The next ring down on the float must be within the 2 red marks.

Last edited by Way2go on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I can confirm that the diagram is correct for the BX as well.

The bottom ring is infact the metal disc that forms the electrical contact between the contacts for the low level indicator..
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Overfilling them unlike oil wont do you any harm, it will just leak out and make a mess, so best have too much instead of too little.
charlotte001

LHM Fluid

Post by charlotte001 »

Ok I put in a litre tonight the top yellow thing is slightly below the top red mark, the bottle seems it could do with more though. The car does have a wierd grinding noise on the drivers side sphere, as I only bought the car last night I don't know what is normal. Also makes noises when driving.

Charlotte001
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: LHM Fluid

Post by DavidRutherford »

charlotte001 wrote:Ok I put in a litre tonight the top yellow thing is slightly below the top red mark, the bottle seems it could do with more though.
In which case it's correctly full. The reservoir should never be that full TBH. If it's over-full it will make a yuck mess everywhere. Be aware that if you're checking it correctly (car running and in "high") the reservoir is almost empty. It's quite amazing how much fluid the suspension system holds. Try this: After you've checked the level, lean in through the open drivers window, turn the engine off and move the lever to "low". Now nip round smartish to the LHM tank and look in through the filler. As the car drops the level will go from almost empty to about 2/3 full.
this might be a signature
charlotte001

LHM

Post by charlotte001 »

Ok ill check it tomorrow as it drops from high

Charlotte001
charlotte001

LHM

Post by charlotte001 »

Ok ill check it tomorrow as it drops from high

Charlotte001
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Brian wrote:I can confirm that the diagram is correct for the BX as well.
Sorry Brian, you're incorrect as the diagram for the BX (From the Citroen Handbook) shows the indicator as the second ring. If you are operating to the top ring your resevoir is lower than it should be.

1991 BX19GTi Auto
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Way2go wrote:
(Sorry Brian, you're incorrect as the diagram for the BX (From the Citroen Handbook) shows the indicator as the second ring. If you are operating to the top ring your resevoir is lower than it should)

Hi, I don't think so...I think you have a handbook with a fundamental error printed for the level diagram.

I have two handbooks and the level diagram is similar to that shown in the thread that Clogzz sent..

But as it has been said, the level is not that critical, but if over filled will mist out over time and the good news - it will combat the effects of corrosion, but will also make a fine mess..

The bottom disc is in fact made of brass, and is the switch contact for the low level light and not the indicator marker...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Brian wrote: I have two handbooks and the level diagram is similar to that shown in the thread that Clogzz sent..
Interesting. Can you scan and post the differing diagram?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Phillip,

Both are similar, as below:

Indicating that the marker disk is the top domed shaped one.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well I never. A bit of a faux pas in the Citroen graphics dept. :roll:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v