Drop link removal: any tips ?

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Drop link removal: any tips ?

Post by cauchoiskev »

Am I right in thinking that only the nut holds on the bottom of the drop links ?

I have removed the nut but it will still not budge. I have tried levering with a jemmy and mild bashing(afraid to damge the nut/thread), all to no avail. Same thing on both sides. Am I missing something ?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I had problems with the drop links I replaced last year - but I think these problems were of a different kind, as I could turn nuts but found I was also turning the inserts in their sockets. This was particularly true of the top section. I resorted to violence (a hacksaw) as I was replacing the old ones anyway.

Since then have removed droplinks on another BX without problems during the course of other work, though I found that the droplink bottom end may require a little horizontal "persuasion" with a hammer. Are both wheels off-ground?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes Kev, just the nut.

You have to give it really heavy belts with a large hammer. Thread damage is almost inevitable. Try loosening the nut for a good few turns and using a short large drift, then you will only wreck the nut.

Its usually the top one that takes more time.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

OK, I'll give it max welly the next time :twisted: . Thanks gents.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Or buy a ball joint splitter. Worth their weight in gold and only a few quid :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Yes, I've got one and had thought about that, but I can't see any way of getting it in place...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I separated the bottom joint using a taper fork type of balljoint splitter. Its not a device I like much as it tends to damage the rubber boot - but that doesn't matter here as the joint is being replaced (not like a track rod end being removed during other work)

The top joint was a pain as its a simple straight shaft with a thread on top - so if the nut doesn't come undone easily the thing will just go round and I ended up sawing it off (which was surprisingly easy)

When I do the next one I'll clean and oil the thread first and screw another nut down it to clean the thread while its held fast. - Hopefully then it'll come undone easily.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/searc ... ter/page/1
This is the type I mean - you may be able to buy single ones either at MM or elsewhere.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

The top of my drop links have a flat for a small spanner to immobilize them. As far as I can remember, all the BX drop links I have seen were made like that.

Is this specific to France ?