Suspension Legs dry ????

BX Tech talk
charlotte001

Suspension Legs dry ????

Post by charlotte001 »

My BX19 has a little noise, when it raises and lowers and sometimes driving there is a noise like rubbing a balloon, the local main dealer has suggested that the suspension legs are dry, I seem to remember somewhere in the information of the BX club that there is a problem with the legs getting dry is this an easy fix or do I need to get the tool box out ?

Charlotte001
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

1991 BX19GTi Auto
charlotte001

Legs

Post by charlotte001 »

Way2go wrote:Here you go! :D

http://bxclub.co.uk/diy/struts/
That's the bit of reading knew it was there somewhere

Charlotte001
charlotte001

Dry Strutts

Post by charlotte001 »

I've read the page now I'm slightly confused by the following:

Fitted to the side of the strut are two rubber pipes. Raise the suspension, sucking in some of the fluid

Where on the strutts are these pipes ? I cannot find them anywhere are they the pipes out of the LHM container or are there some pipes on the top of each strutt by the Spheres? If someone can clear this up I'd appreciate it.

Charlotte001
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Dry Strutts

Post by Way2go »

charlotte001 wrote: Where on the strutts are these pipes ? I cannot find them anywhere are they the pipes out of the LHM container or are there some pipes on the top of each strutt by the Spheres? If someone can clear this up I'd appreciate it.

Charlotte001
Is this a wind up? :? You can see the tops of the struts yet you are looking for them under the bonnet? :?

The struts are attached to the wheel hub carrier in the wheel arch, look on the side of the struts away from the wheel. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
charlotte001

strutts

Post by charlotte001 »

that's why i couldn't find then i was looking in the wrong place. I read the info wrong how I read it was the pipes were at the top. I've had a look and have found the pipes it refers too.

Does anyone know if the Strutt Repair kits are still available from anywhere other than main dealer ?

Charlotte
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

There is a serious risk of contaminating the LHM using this method. See the link below for further details.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81151

The above link also describes a fairly simple and safe way of lubricating the struts from within the engine compartment
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The strut return pipes used to be obtainable from GSF and Eurocarparts but I don't know if they still stock them.

They are not easy to fit. Correctly fitted they have a stainless steel band type clip which I found difficult to fit. I used cable ties on one and a large jubilee clip on the other.

In fact both struts were knackered - one started to leak heavily and had to be replaced - and the other was so stiff that I decided to replace it as the price came down.

When both struts were replaced the ride improved significantly.

Overhauled atruts and other bits can be obtained from Plaides (may call themselves something different now)

Pipes can be joined using bits of metal brake pipes.

The pipes are made up of a rubber manifold which sits over a hole in the strut outer casing. It had 2 black plastic fittings onto which the 2 pipes are glued. The pipes then connect to 2 metal stubs fitted to the frame and linked to the rest of the return system. It would be possible to fit new pipes to the stubs but they would probably have to be glued which would mean getting the stubs very clean.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I bought some strut pipes from GSF not that long ago, i decided to get the slightly cheaper oem versions which dont appear to be that much different from the original.

Afterall, its only a block which fits over the strut hole & 2 rubber pipes, so couldnt see the point in paying over the odds....

I did buy the correct straps that hold the thing in place though, wouldnt have thought zip ties would be tight enough, could run the risk of the block rotating off the hole & then all the lhm would piss out of the strut which could cause some strut damage.....
charlotte001

Dry Legs

Post by charlotte001 »

Thanks for the advice. I did the job the other way by putting some LHM into the strutt holes at the top, it's quietened down by 95% there is still a slight grumble the rubber should be softer tomorrow so the remainin 5% should be gone or almost.

Charlotte