Replacing rear suspension bushes and spheres on TZD Estate

BX Tech talk
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

Replacing rear suspension bushes and spheres on TZD Estate

Post by gazpacho andulus »

Can I use some brand new bushes from the suspension arms off a TXD Hatch back which were fitted by The Doc and if so how do I get them out of the TXD arms which I have removed from the car? Also with the car totally jacked up on logs(see pics BX on logs) can I simply unscrew the spheres and put in new ones? without worrying about pressure?
now I'm listening. TZD Estate 1991
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

rear suspension arms.

will the rear suspension arms off a txd hatch fit straight onto a tzd estate?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The arms are interchangeable as long as the TZD doesn't have ABS.

As for removing the spheres without pressure in the system, you might be lucky and they'll come undone easily. However as you try to unscrew keep a very close watch on the cylinder itself. If it begins to turn, STOP or you will damage the HP feedpipe.
They think it's all over, it is now!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

When faced with this problem a while back, I came up with a makeshift tool, and used it again last week when forced to remove rear spheres without pressure

I did have the Pleiades sphere tool available to grip the sphere firmly - an important plus.

I made a "helper" to try and lock the cylinder to some extent: a modified long 16mm socket with an angle-ground cut down the body. This is inserted into the hole in the subframe where the supply pipe enters.

The slot along the body allows you to slip it over the supply pipe, and the end of the socket fits over the lug on the suspension cylinder which the union screws into.This provides limited "lock" to stop the cylinder rotating. It's not infallible, but I've now used it succesfully on two separate occasions.

Alternatively, or in tandem, you may be able to take a large Stilson wrench, clamp this over the cylinder at the boot end, bracing it against the direction of rotation.

No guarantees of success, just some methods I've employed before now when faced with the no-pressure problem when removing rear spheres.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Hmm, tried unsuccessfully to get your pics to show here Chris. Are you sure the wind hasn't moved the cars off the logs onto the footpath, it's wreaked havoc here? Are the existing spheres on the estate knackered, if not don't replace them till they are?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

A shame the link doesn't work until you put it in a browser...

All ready for Fred Flintstone to turn up and do some BX spanner work. :D
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

suspension arms

The suspension arms off the txd didnt have ABS but the TZD does. So I have two suspension arms with brand new bearings and bushes up for grabs. I've got the TZD's off and am now looking for the best kit and the chairman has offered to fit them if i'm passing. He talked me through the ABS cable bayonet joints under the back seats. What a gold mine of know-how.
Regards
chris