1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Which Glow Plug?

Post by MULLEY »

Which one's do i need to fit my 1.9n/a 1992 TXD? I've seen loads on
e-bay, is there a particular brand thats worth spending the money on? do the cheaper one's just wear out quicker?

Sorry for all the questions, dont have a clue about these wonderful devices :lol:

Oh, & why'll i'm asking, does the turbo have different one's to the n/a?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

They're identical AFAIK, the NGK number is Y-924J. I would certainly go for a decent brand such as NGK or Bosch, and not Champion...

For some reason I have never had much luck with Beru plugs, but perhaps that is just my own experience!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I usually stick with the brand that was fitted in the last BX's I've broken up :lol: but they seldom fail, so I wouldn't worry too much unless you're having starting problems.
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Not sure, fires up ok, however does run quite rough to begin with, then after about 20-30 seconds seems fine? are they on the way out, or is it just a typical xud engine?
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

MULLEY wrote:Not sure, fires up ok, however does run quite rough to begin with, then after about 20-30 seconds seems fine? are they on the way out, or is it just a typical xud engine?
The glow plugs are NOT operating for 20-30 seconds after engine start. You cant blame the plugs then.

BX glowplugs runs for some 10 seconds maximum after glowplug timer lamp extinguishes. This is determined by the glowplug timer relay - not the plug type.

I'm pretty sure you have an air leak problem in the fuel lines. Its the most obvious problem on elderly diesel cars.
For some reason owners never seem to believe that "some air" in the fuel lines of a diesel is a problem - big problem - non-starter problem in fact.

Replace the last bit of fuel line from filter to the diesel pump with a clear PVC line. Any ever so small air bubble seen during engine running is an absolute NO-GO.
The air upsets the fuel metering in the diesel pump, which then makes for difficult starting, rough running and un-even pulling power.
Most simple proof is that starting becomes easier if you pump the knob on the diesel filter initially.

Also on any BX diesel variant you have the coldstart waxstat cylinder to modify the cold start injection timing (it NOT a choke to enrichen fuel).
The cable from this cylinder must pull the timing actuator arm hard against the endstop, and then with hot engine release the actuator arm by minimum 6mm on the cable.
On turbo diesels the cable pulls on a springloaded switch that provides earth path for a timing modifier solonoid on the pump. Same adjustment applies.
Mostly the waxstat cylinder is stuck in-operable in cold start position after 8-10 years. Its approx £30 new part. Makes coldstarting a doddle - but noisy - in cold mornings. And reverts hot running to a nice ticking diesel.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

AndersDK wrote:
MULLEY wrote:Not sure, fires up ok, however does run quite rough to begin with, then after about 20-30 seconds seems fine? are they on the way out, or is it just a typical xud engine?
The glow plugs are NOT operating for 20-30 seconds after engine start. You cant blame the plugs then.
Well, you might be able to, as if the engine is starting on 3 cylinders due to a dead plug, then it will splutter and smoke for a while until the 4th cylinder decides to join in....

Actually, thinking about it, I'd expect that to be the problem rather than an air leak, as it fires up OK. If it were an air leak, then I'd expect it to be a right pain to start, needing a lot of cranking.

The waxstats are something I've commented on in the past. I've yet to own an XUD with a working waxstat of any sort, and I've never had any problems.
this might be a signature