power output on BX19TRS AUTO

BX Tech talk
1329dturner

power output on BX19TRS AUTO

Post by 1329dturner »

can someone confirm the bhp of my car?
also I have heard that my car is fitted with a twin choke carb and over halfway down on the accel pedal the second flap opens and lets more air/fuel in? is this correct?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You'll probably find what you're looking for under engines on the Citroen DIY site.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/

A twin choke carburettor has 2 barrels exch with its own throttle. You're right - the thing will run primarily on the first choke and the second will open only when maximum power is required - ie when the throttle is opened 2/3 or so.

If you remove the air cleaner/hose or whatever from the top of the carb and look straight down it you should see the 2 barrels and at the top the 2 choke flaps. If you open them you will see the two throttles. If you study the linkage you should be able to dtermine what is (or should be) going on.

Commonly the throttle linkage is restricted and this prevents the second choke opening properly. This may be due to something highly technical like too thick a floor mat, or a maladjusted cable or sticky linkages on the carb. Accelerator pedals can break away from the pedal box but this seems to be restricted to diesel engined cars.

There is the carb section of the workshop manual on Bob Smith's site. I think it covers your vehicle.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/plip/
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Same as the GT, 105BHP.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I think the later TRS' are rated as 107bhp dependant on the head and later cars had slightly bigger valves IIRC, but it's splitting hairs really.

I think your GT may have the later head Tim, as I remember Adam saying he'd changed it for a later TRS head.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

It certainly goes very well Kitch, the engine itself is out of a 89G 19TRS which had A/C. fortunatly it had the head rebuilt before it rotted away.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

An extra 2bhp, sounds like it might be modified to me :wink:
AndersDK
BXpert

Re: power output on BX19TRS AUTO

Post by AndersDK »

1329dturner wrote:also I have heard that my car is fitted with a twin choke carb and over halfway down on the accel pedal the second flap opens and lets more air/fuel in? is this correct?
Yes, this is correct operation of the carb barrel flaps.
You should never feel like your BX19 105Bhp is under-powered. The 19 engine power is extremely well suited to the BX size and weight.
Even the 16 engine 90Bhp is well suited for the BX - also in the auto variants.

If you feel your BX19 is becoming weak, then check (replace) the air filter and check the operation of the vacuum pod on the ignition distributor body. For ease of mind its well worth replacing the entire length of the small dia rubber vacuum line running from the carb to the vacuum pod, as its a standard failure this line detoriates well and truly.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
BXrunner

Power output

Post by BXrunner »

My TZS auto has 105BHP which is supposedly the same as the TRS