Is it common for front electric window to fail

BX Tech talk
charlotte001

Is it common for front electric window to fail

Post by charlotte001 »

My front electric windows have an electrical problem they open and close ok until I open the drivers door or close it seems the power is cut off some how/somewhere as the windows remain as they were either open or closed, at first the windows would operate normally after a while but last night they totally failed.

Is it common for switches to fail or motors ? The manual refers to a relay in the door where would i find this relay?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

This could be a number of things - but check the windows fuse first as both windows have failed. It's in Haynes, but I don't have it with me at the moment. If it's a shared fuse, then the options multiply.

As with all fuses, if it has blown, then you need to find out why it blew and eliminate that reason.

It could perhaps be a wire break in the loom which passes from the body through to the door itself - you can see the corrugated rubber sheathing for the loom passing from the a-pillar through to the door when the door is open. Wiring and earths seem most likely if it's a purely electrical fault - as I've never had a window motor fail in 16 years of BX-ing, or a window relay failure.

I have had a number of mechanical problems, though, most of which relate to corrosion in the channels for the window lifter mechanism. Some times this can jam the window in one place, cause it to drop suddenly, or fail to make the last couple of cms when closing. The window lifter can also distort just behind the motor cog, causing the motor cog teeth or the winder mechanism teeth to jump off and break.

Whether the problem is electrical or mechanical, you'll almost certainly need to remove the door card to check it out - do you need instructions?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
charlotte001

Windows

Post by charlotte001 »

It's not fuses checked and replaced as necessary. Tomorrow will get the multi meter out to check the wire for breaks.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Apologies for starting at the most basic level, but I try not to jump to conclusions if I can help it. Good luck with tracing back from behind the door card.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mat_fenwick

Re: Is it common for front electric window to fail

Post by mat_fenwick »

charlotte001 wrote:they open and close ok until I open the drivers door or close it
It does sound like the problem is within the corrugated tubing, try moving it while you have your finger on the electric window button.

When you say they both have the problem do you mean they both don't operate from the driver's door? Could be a break in the 12V feed wire to both switches in the driver's door if the passenger door switch works OK.
charlotte001

Windows

Post by charlotte001 »

You are correct it is both the windows from the drivers side. I'm about to get the meter out and have a look at what evers happening or not in this case.