16V on a 8v Block "I think not"

BX Tech talk
BXrunner

16V on a 8v Block "I think not"

Post by BXrunner »

got a guy at work bragging he can fita 16v head to the standard BX 1095 engine is this cosher and is it easy to do only thing I've changed the head on was a Range Rover V8 that was idiot proof. if it's dohc then it aint possible if its sohc then you're the experts

cannot see the benefits
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The 16 valve head may well bolt on - but then the interesting bits start - like the pistons have valve cut outs - the cam drive is rather different, the oil pump is half as big again - and in fact the 16 valve has a special block which is stronger.

The 16 valve achieves its power by virtue of excellent breathing - so you will need the manifold, some if not all of the exhaust, and of course the fuel injection and ignition system.

Easier to buy the whole lot!.

8 Valve GTi is nearly as quick - and they're cheap enough.
BXrunner

16v

Post by BXrunner »

so in short he's talking BS
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean there's any point to it. I'm quite sure you could indeed fit a 16v head to a standard 8v block, but there's no point in doing so.
this might be a signature
BXrunner

16V

Post by BXrunner »

a bit like the lads of a certain age fitting intercoolers to Astras or Renault 5's. I imagine the 16v is almost entirely different the carb 8v fuel injection to start with then you say different stronger block
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's a shit idea, and the guy at your work is a moron.
You could bolt a D6C head to an XUD block, but it would be as pointless as teaching a Gazelle to juggle Penguins.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:but it would be as pointless as teaching a Gazelle to juggle Penguins.
Well, you couldn't teach it but you could probably juggle the biscuits in this! :lol:

1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It's actually alot harder than it sounds. The waterways don't line up for a kickoff, and the oil pump isn't as strong. The crank is also weaker so it won't like you spinning it to the 7200rpm limiter the ECU sets it (which is imperative to successful 16v ownership :wink: )

Basically a totally pointless operation unless you only have an 8v block and have all the bits needed to change it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Me thinks, in short:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

docchevron1472 wrote:It's a shit idea, and the guy at your work is a moron.
You could bolt a D6C head to an XUD block, but it would be as pointless as teaching a Gazelle to juggle Penguins.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
BXrunner

Post by BXrunner »

cavmad wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote:It's a shit idea, and the guy at your work is a moron.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
a very bad idea the guy is a moron and got fired yesterday
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Some time ago I bought what appeared to be an Mi 16 engine from the local scrapyard, this was a bare engine that was on the dirty Aluminium pile.

It was a bargain price of £20. It turned over and even had compression.

I only wanted it for the head, so upon stripping it down imagine my surprise to find it had two head gaskets fitted. Also there were no cut outs in the tops of the pistons (8V pistons). Further stripping revealed it to have the 8V crank, block, and 8v connecting rods which have press fit gudgeon pins.

Although dissapointed with the contents of the bottom end an unexpected bonus was as new 8v pistons, and as new 8v liners (which I still have).

The most major difference on the 8v block compared to the 16V block, is where the drivers side engine mount is bolted to the block (as it has additional bolts for the 16V engine mount, though 3 of the four 8V bolt holes were in the right location). Dipstick location is also different, and there is an absense of provision for under piston oil cooling jets.

Further more I understand the 205 fraternity are now using 8V liners in Mi16 rebuilds due to the expense and difficulty in finding the correct 16V liners (which are heavier and ridged on the outside diameter) .

In short there is no advantage in doing this unless you have a stuffed 16V cylinder block and cant cant find a good s/h replacement 16v lump. Although you can build an engine to this spec it will not have all the 16v refinements ie under piston oil cooling jets, so it will always be limited in comparison to the real thing.
simonbx17
BXpert

yes

Post by simonbx17 »

xu7td plus 16v head is it posible :shock: :D :D :D
Current.
00' Fraud Mondeo 2.0 ghia x......i know couldn't resist a bargain.
99' Peugeot 306 1.4 lx. nicely spec'd.
-----------------------------------------------------------
93' xm 2.1 turbo D saloon 203.000mls has been sold to "citroenxm".