Bumpstops

BX Tech talk
CaM
BXpert

Bumpstops

Post by CaM »

My younger sister is using my BX at the moment about 200km away as her mini blew a headgasket and my father's away until the weekend so can't sort it for her....

she sent me a text saying that a' rubber cone' had fallen off it at some point and was lying underneath it on the ground. her description of it sounds to me like the main bumpstop on the rear suspension......

my question is: will the suspension units stroke out and clip the spheres when it drops the rear end over a few days if she doesn't use it, thus causing damage? the cumbersome looking buffers are still in place. just one cone type bumpstop has ejected itself :?
should I get her to run it up to height/leave it at full extension as a precaution? I wont be able to get to the car for about a week and a half to sort it. I have about a million pug rear bumpstops which look the same...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Good question - unfortunately I don't know, but suspect they were put there for a reason.

I was pondering the bump stop earlier on in the week while in the middle of a double rear strut and supply pipe change: the bump stop on one side was causing all sorts of access annoyances. On balance, I didn't want to remove it in case I either broke it or couldn't refit it properly.

I've got various bits of BX rubber and can take a look, but suspect that it'd take rather longer than a week and a half to get to you in NZ.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

oh I've got hoards of spare bumpstop rubbers as they're the same as peugeot ones. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt it but it'd be silly to be flippant and let the car suffer damage. She's rather more industrious than I first thought, and has removed the rear wheel, 'made' a bumpstop somehow from a piece of firewood, and hooked it to the trailing arm with some wire. awesome.
will chuck a new rubber in it next weekend.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The bump stops serves as a soft layer between suspenion arm and chassis body member. Nothing else really.
In the event the car should be driven, while low down on its knees, there is then some sort of protection to the chassis structure ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak