lumpys new trick puffing small amounts of smoke

BX Tech talk
BXrunner

lumpys new trick puffing small amounts of smoke

Post by BXrunner »

Lumpy has got a new trick it pumps out small amounts of smoke under the bonnet nothing is alight nor damaged think the breather system of sorts is blocked somewhere

it now has a cone filter on it
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you get the engine hot and then remove the oil filler cap do you choke on the fumes?

Is the engine covered in oil and leaking from places you didn't know it had?

If so its piston/piston ring damage.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Take off the breather tubes one at a time and clean them out. Had a low mileage GTI that did this - it was oil smoke feeding back and puffing out of the air filter. That was rammed full of oil mayo in all its breather tubes - seen nothing like it before or since.

Anyway, breather tubes are easy but time consuming, go one at a time starting at the filler cap and work your way round systematically. Theres a filter a bit like a wire wool pad (maybe 2?) on the breather system that ive seen clogged before. Its in the small plastic funnel shaped thing on the breather system near the top of the engine. Will find a pic if this isnt descriptive enough :p.
BXrunner

puffing small amounts of smoke

Post by BXrunner »

That's what I believe it is I have removed the standard airbox for a cone filter so the pipes off the carb are in air the pipe of the oil cap is also in air

got gallon of parrafin
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

was smoke coming out before you messed up the breathing system and throttled the air intake with a cone filter?
BXrunner

smoke

Post by BXrunner »

yes as two of the hoses were off supposedly the cone filters allow more air and not throttle the intake thats the job of the exisiting filter box
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: smoke

Post by DavidRutherford »

BXrunner wrote:supposedly the cone filters allow more air and not throttle the intake thats the job of the exisiting filter box
Not so. The BX air filter and air box is perfectly capable of delivering enough air for at least 200hp. It was designed as such by lots of people at PSA with lots of experience and powerful computers.

Unlike aftermarket cone air filter manufacturers, who just make one style of filter to fit just about anything. You'll also find that you're now picking up hot air from the engine bay rather than either temperature controlled air, or cold air as the original was designed.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

yes as two of the hoses were off
needs some more detail. Are you saying before you stuck a non standard filter on, that while it had the standard filter fitted there where two breather hoses not connected and it smoked?

Sounds to me like you haven't got the crank care breathers connected at all, and the 'smoke' is nothing more than the crank case fumes not being scavenged. Do you have a picture of this setup?

I suspect with an open oil system then you are likely to be subject to rapid deterioration of the engine oil!
BXrunner

puffing smoke

Post by BXrunner »

It was the oil cap hose not connected I've found a way to connect it up so now theres no more smoke puffs

Tomorrow I'm putting the orignal box back on as I seem to have lost the top end of revs with a cone filter this is not a K&N#

Put the original airbox on the car just noticed a few issues firstly a small amount of white gunge in the oil filler cap the little wire filter in it was solid now replaced tonight we are testing the car to see if there is a difference between the two filters

is gunge a common thing on the oil filler as it's so long I hope its not the cylinder head gasket going. The white mayo is still coming into the oil cap down the pipe to the breather pipe. took the rocker box off to see if that had mayo none found, car is still smoking white/gray smoke, is a problem known about the liner seals ? Sure I read somewhere there is.

changing the coolant today to see if theres any oil in it