Strange starter problem

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

cauchoiskev wrote:@AlanS

The brushes were my first thought, I foolishly ordered them from the local motor factor, then opened the starter. The brushes looked fine, but there was un unbelievable amount of filth inside the casing, which looked like a mixture of dog hair and dog poo - how the hell did that get in ? Aha, I thought, the problem was the dirt. But of course it wasn't.

@Jeremy

I have already jumped all the contacts, it makes no difference, there is still intermittent failure. So yes, I think the switch is at fault.

I am starting to envisage a starter switch on the dash to do the job of the solenoid switch, as I'm damned if I'm going to throw away a perfectly good starter motor. The problem will be to find -or make - one capable of withstanding 400A. Either that or a very heavy-duty relay....

The problem we've found with the brushes is that with the original springs behind them, they tend to push harder on one side than the other. As a result, the operating face gets angled and this coupled to voltage drop from the ignition switch to solenoid causing the lazy connection in the solenoid, can create a situation where one brush can be sitting across 2 segments on the commutator whereas the other is raised on one side, hence ho circuit.
As has been said by others; a direct connection to the motor won't work due to the double operations the pinion performs.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

I am convinced it will work, because the pinion engaging function of the solenoid does work perfectly (as I said, turn the key, wait for the click, then hit the button), the only problem is with the switch, most likely worn contacts.

Sorry if my explanations were not perfectly clear.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

i had exactly the same symptoms.

solved by wiring a relay with a nice thick positive feed going straight from the battery + terminal to the starter, as opposed to the standard set up where the positive feed goes via the dodgy ignition switch, which is renowned for degrading over time and giving a poor connection.

so i'd recommend you try that 1st - it saves the hassle of putting in a new starter and is a lot cheaper and easier... :D
1991 Citroen BX 16v