compression figures BX19

BX Tech talk
BXrunner

compression figures BX19

Post by BXrunner »

Can someone give me the range of compression figures for the BX1905 engine as I have the creamy gunge in the oil fillter cap down the barrel too. I hope it isnt the cylinder head gasket as this looks a nightmare

thanks in advance
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If the engine starts and runs ok and theres no oil in the water you should be fine, if your cars been used for short runs that will be the cause, get the engine oil and filter changed asap! I had the same problem on a couple of my 1.9 Petrols.
BXrunner

compression

Post by BXrunner »

tim leech wrote:If the engine starts and runs ok and theres no oil in the water you should be fine, if your cars been used for short runs that will be the cause, get the engine oil and filter changed asap! I had the same problem on a couple of my 1.9 Petrols.
The gunge was found after a long run or 50+ miles. If someone can give me the cyllinder compression figures I can determine if the car needs a new head gasket. I can't decide if it has oil in the water or not though there is a touch of the rainbow effect from oil. Engine runs a touch lumpy although I think this i due to the idle speed running very low
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Do a compression test.
If there's more than 10% difference between the lowest and the highest reading, the head needs to come off; that's the rule of thumb.
As far as quoting actual psi readings, then again, this depends on the engine model but again as a rule of thumb, 175 psi seems to be a median pressure to work from.
If this creamy looking crap is in the filler/breather system, that's the old mayonnaise problem they've had for years, usually fixed by cleaning out thoroughly and fitting a new thermostat.
If it's showing up in the cooling system, it will be the head gasket being rotted away due to lack of or old degraded coolant and in that case, it's only a matter of time before the head has to come off for the new gasket. In that case, don't travel too far or you'll come home on a flatbed one day.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
BXrunner

compression test

Post by BXrunner »

AlanS wrote:Do a compression test.
If there's more than 10% difference between the lowest and the highest reading, the head needs to come off; that's the rule of thumb.
As far as quoting actual psi readings, then again, this depends on the engine model but again as a rule of thumb, 175 psi seems to be a median pressure to work from.
If this creamy looking crap is in the filler/breather system, that's the old mayonnaise problem they've had for years, usually fixed by cleaning out thoroughly and fitting a new thermostat.
If it's showing up in the cooling system, it will be the head gasket being rotted away due to lack of or old degraded coolant and in that case, it's only a matter of time before the head has to come off for the new gasket. In that case, don't travel too far or you'll come home on a flatbed one day.

Alan S
Been there done that on flat beds . I'll change it I can nab a look at the haynes to get torque figures and to find if it's a 2 stage torque ill change the thermostat too as Im about to do a long run. Work to Brussels brussels to poland poland to moscow and back again over three weeks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Haynes (petrol) here - top doc under BX. Its in english as are the workshop manual sections. Katalog is a parts list.

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
BXrunner

compression figures

Post by BXrunner »

Thanks this helps a lot.