Started to notice lateral movement on the steering wheel

BX Tech talk
BXrunner

Started to notice lateral movement on the steering wheel

Post by BXrunner »

I have started to notice movement on the steering of lumpy not a lot of movement around 1/16th - 1/8 th inch [for the euro lot 2-4mm] I was told it could be the rubber bush under the steering wheel so I took all the plastic cover off to see and its not so I checked the steering column as it comes out of the tubing and found movement there any suggestions ? track rod ball joint/wishbone joints or something commonly found on hydrowhatsit suspension
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The bush has slid down out of the bottom of the tube. Push it back inside and put a ty-rap tightly round the column itself which is then slid up & under the bush to keep it from sliding down again. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BXrunner

steering

Post by BXrunner »

ok thanks ill have a look how easy are they to replace if it's totally defunct
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It wont be defunct, they last forever.
It'll really just need pushing back up into the coloumn tube and securing with a ty-rap so it stays there, they all do it sooner or later.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Way2go wrote:The bush has slid down out of the bottom of the tube. Push it back inside and put a ty-rap tightly round the column itself which is then slid up & under the bush to keep it from sliding down again. :D
I think mine's done this but after a cursory look at the bit of column just next to the pedal box I can't see what you mean. Is it further up out of sight and I have to remove a lower dashboard panel?

Cheers,

Mark.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mnde wrote:Is it further up out of sight and I have to remove a lower dashboard panel?
You need to remove the trim that surrounds the steering wheel and lower column to see things properly (torx screws I seem to remember, posidrivs too underneath) and it is much easier though maybe not essential to remove the steering wheel to facilitate the removal of this trim. (take care of the indicator cancel if you pull the wheel off)
You will then see the bush that has come adrift between the tube and the u/v joint. As previously mentioned push it back up into the tube as far as you can, and fit a nylon ty-rap tight round the column itself and push this hard up underneath the bush to keep it in place.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BXrunner

movement

Post by BXrunner »

Job done
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Thanks Way2go I'll have a go at sorting it when I get a free moment! :)

Mark.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mnde wrote:Thanks Way2go I'll have a go at sorting it when I get a free moment! :)

Mark.
How did you get on Mark, Did you sort it OK? :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I was inside making tea at the crucial point, but watching Mark trying to get the shroud back together again afterwards was very entertaining :lol:

3-d jigsaw puzzles ftw!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

stuart_hedges wrote:I was inside making tea at the crucial point, but watching Mark trying to get the shroud back together again afterwards was very entertaining :lol:

3-d jigsaw puzzles ftw!
Indeed putting the shroud back is quite entertaining :twisted: :lol:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AndersDK wrote:
stuart_hedges wrote:I was inside making tea at the crucial point, but watching Mark trying to get the shroud back together again afterwards was very entertaining :lol:

3-d jigsaw puzzles ftw!
Indeed putting the shroud back is quite entertaining :twisted: :lol:
Especially so if you haven't removed the steering wheel first! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yep all sorted, thanks :) ... but I *so* needed David's help to get the shroud back together afterwards - such a fiddly affair. As the Meteor has the 4 spoke steering wheel you don't need to take it off to get at those upper shroud screws 8)

Mark.