Electrical issues

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Electrical issues

Post by ed4ferrets »

On the motorway Sunday night and lights start getting dimmer etc. Warning light did not come on at all. I managed to pull off at services where I confirmed there was no charge, also once engine was turned off it wouldn't turn over again. I noticed with ignition on that the charge light was not on with the other red lights??.

Auto-aid turns up 2hours later, jump start and now alternator decides to charge again. Not far down the motorway the whole thing starts again but this time the charge light faintly flickering barely visible. Managed to drive 80 miles like this.... arriving home with virtually no lights at all.

Is it time to fit my spare alternator or could there be other sinister factors at work here?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
BXrunner

quit

Post by BXrunner »

You could try the brushes or regulator pack inside the alternator to see if they're ok chances are they need replacing
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Just my luck, the spare has a 4 groove pulley!

Are pulleys interchangeable or can a 4 groove belt be used ie same size/width groove as the wider belt?

Also sitting with the flat battery with no charger handy.... could an adaptor/tranformer be cobbled up as a charger?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Jon, PM sent.
Cheers

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I have spare valver alternators, and no doubt diesel alternators, all in stock at the cow factory.

Pulleys are interchangable, but the nut can be a bit of a pain to undo and do up unless you have a rattle gun at hand!

Either way, if you need an alternator mate you're welcome to one gratis.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Chris, no rattlegun so will take up your offer of a 5 groove olly, Jon will no doubt be in touch regarding this.

Battery is being charged as I peck away at the keyboard but I will only use the TD very local until the alternator is sorted. Hmmmm, hope the battery is okay after the ordeal Sun/Mon!!

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

No worries mate.

I need to speak to Jon about bits anyway, so it could all work out rather well.
I still have some P1 wing flairs and the such for him aswell!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Ha, so you're lurking with intent again :wink:

Please pm me your mob/landline numbers, must be on a previous phone rather than on sim for some stooopid reason. Cheers

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

PM sendage has occured.

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Hi Ed - just one more thing I'd check - what's the state of the leads to/from the alternator? Had similar symptoms when picking up my Silver Machine last year, and found a rotten wire, frazzled by heat as it didn't have any thermal insulation, and only hanging on by a thread.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Hi Dave, all wiring seems to be intact .... what still puzzles me is the light not coming on at all when the problem occurred originally, just dim headlights, slow wipers etc Even the ABS light came on eventually (low voltage?)but not the darn warning light grrr

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

ed4ferrets wrote:Hi Dave, all wiring seems to be intact .... what still puzzles me is the light not coming on at all when the problem occurred originally, just dim headlights, slow wipers etc Even the ABS light came on eventually (low voltage?)but not the darn warning light grrr
If your brushes have worn out, then the lamp won't come on at all, as the circuit is made with the brushes.

As I've explained to people with failed alternators before, the lamp coming on before you start the car is the most significant aspect of it's function.
this might be a signature
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

DavidRutherford wrote: If your brushes have worn out, then the lamp won't come on at all, as the circuit is made with the brushes.

As I've explained to people with failed alternators before, the lamp coming on before you start the car is the most significant aspect of it's function.
Ahhh that reminds me, the other mystery is that the lamp does NOT come on before starting, noticed that whilst stuck at services :? or is the circuit made by the brushes at that stage too?

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle