cleaning alloy cam cover

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

cleaning alloy cam cover

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What's the best way to clean off old, flaking paint and stuff from a 16v alloy cam cover? And then, what paint to use to refurbish it?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
BXrunner

Re: cleaning alloy cam cover

Post by BXrunner »

Philip chidlow wrote:What's the best way to clean off old, flaking paint and stuff from a 16v alloy cam cover? And then, what paint to use to refurbish it?
I'd use a good engine cleaner first to remove the gunge then get a paint stripper suitable for alloy that's the easy way if you want you could get a light wet and dry to remove it around 800/1000 grit but paint stripper is safer. You can get a cam cover paint from the local car parts place I have seen hammerite being used on Range Rover Classics but the paint must be heat proof I'd check halfords at first then see if your local parts store does it cheaper
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can rub it back with almost anything you like really, wire wool, nitromers, wet and dry, hedgehog, makes little difference.

As for paint VHT exhaust paint works rather well I find, and gives a nice finish too.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...